Image Spacer
Site Index | Phone Directory | Search
Long Beach City College Image Spacer
Site Navigation
Financial Aid Home
Federal Work Study
Direct Loans
Financial Aid Essentials
CA Dream Act / AB 540 Students
Using Your Student Center
Satisfactory Academic Progress
Pell Grant Lifetime Eligibility Limit
Tools and Links for Students
Frequently Asked Questions
Financial Aid Videos
Bank Mobile Contract
Net Price Calculator
LBCC Staff Resources
Policies and Procedures
Get Adobe Reader
Image SpacerAdmissionsCounselingDisabled Student ServicesEOPSFinancial Aid
Gray rule
Apply for Financial Aid
Financial Aid

Who is Eligible to Apply
  1. You must have graduated from high school (including passing the CAHSEE) or have a GED or complete home schooling before you can receive financial aid.

  2. You must be a U.S. Citizen or eligible noncitizen. Generally this means permanent residents although there are exceptions. It does not include AB 540 students or those on student visas.

  3. If you have a Bachelor's Degree from a U.S. or foreign school you are eligible for loans including subsidized loans but not grants.

  4. Continuing students must maintain satisfactory academic progress. A 2.0 cumulative GPA and 67% successful completion rate is required.

Preparing to Apply
  1. Long Beach City College's school code is 001219.

  2. You'll want to have your Federal Student Aid ID (FSA ID) to sign the FAFSA for fastest processing. If you don't have one or need a new one, visit the PIN web site (FSA ID). You can use it immediately. Be sure to have your parents create and sign with a FSA ID too.

  3. Based on your answers to certain questions on the FAFSA you may need to include parents' information as well as your own.

  4. Your tax return (and parents') or all income records such as W-2's if you won't file a tax return. This includes untaxed income and benefits such as Social Security Benefits and Food Stamps.

  5. Record of savings, checking accounts and any investments.

  6. Your and your parents' Social Security Number and birth dates.

  7. Your driver's license number or state issued ID#.

Tip: Be sure to keep a copy of all records that you use as we may need it to verify your application. However, if you use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) at the FAFSA web site when you apply or to submit a correction later, we won't need a copy of any tax records. If you don't use the DRT we'll need an IRS Transcript. We are no longer able to accept copies of tax returns.

Apply Now!

Link to FAFSA on the Web at

Click on the graphic above to go to the FAFSA website.

Tip: It's the FREE Application for Federal Student Aid. If you are asked to pay any fee you are at the wrong web site.

Fee Waivers

To be eligible for a fee waiver through the FAFSA you only need to be a CA resident and have $1104 worth of need as calculated by the federal processor. When we receive your Student Aid Report from the FAFSA, you receive a fee waiver automatically and pays your enrollment fees when you register. If you are already registered it will be applied to your account. If your fees are due and a fee waiver or payment doesn’t appear in your account yet, you’ll be dropped from the classes. If you pay the fees and later receive a fee waiver, you’ll receive a refund.

For more information, see "Apply for a Fee Waiver Only". You don’t need to submit that application if you are submitting a FAFSA however.

Fall 2016 BOG Fee Waiver Changes

In an effort to help students succeed in the California community colleges, the Student Success Act of 2012 (California Senate Bill 1456) was signed into law by Governor Brown. Among other aspects, the Act included the creation of minimum academic and progress standards that must be met for continued eligibility for the Board of Governors Fee Waiver Program (BOGFW).

Academic – Sustain a GPA of 2.0 or higher

If your cumulative GPA falls below 2.0 for two consecutive primary terms (Fall/Spring Semesters), you may lose your fee waiver eligibility.

Progress-Complete more than 50 percent of your coursework

If the cumulative number of units you complete is not more than 50 percent in two consecutive primary terms (Fall/Spring), you may lose your fee waiver eligibility.

Combination of Academic and Progress Standards

Any combination of two consecutive terms of cumulative GPA below 2.0, and/or cumulative unit completion of not more than50 percent may result in loss of fee waiver eligibility.

How will I know?

You’ll be notified within 30 days of the end of each term if you are being placed on either academic (GPA) and/or progress (course completion) probation. Your notification will include the information that a second term of probation will result in loss of fee waiver eligibility. After the second consecutive term of probation, you may lose eligibility for the fee waiver at your next registration opportunity.

How to regain eligibility

If you lose eligibility for the BOG Fee Waiver, there are a few ways that you can have it reinstated:

  • Improve your GPA or course completion measures to meet the academic and progress standards
  • Successful appeal regarding extenuating circumstances
  • Successful appeal based on significant academic improvement
  • Not attending your school district for two consecutive primary terms (Fall/Spring)

The appeal process for extenuating circumstances incudes:

  • Verified accidents, illness or other circumstances beyond your control
  • Changes in economic situation
  • Evidence of inability to obtain essential support services
  • Special consideration factors for CalWORKs, EOPS, DSPS and student veterans
  • Disability accommodations not received in a timely manner

Please note that foster youth and former foster youth (age 24 years and younger) and recipients of Cal Vet Fee Waiver are not subject to loss of BOG Fee Waiver under these regulations