Download an illustrated brochure of the Strategic Plan (178 kb)
The Long Beach City College Foundation values lifelong education as vital to a dynamic, productive society and recognizes that Long Beach City College serves as a gateway to the future for our diverse community. The Foundation will provide resources to enhance the College's ability to sustain its position as a community innovator and leader.
Long Beach City College Foundation's mission is to raise funds and provide personal support that contribute to the College's outstanding and evolving learning environment.
Goal No. 1: Provide More Support for the Foundation
Promote participation and loyalty from a broader range of partners of the college who may be able to offer unique personal support and may also become significant donors in the future.
Identify potential partners and their interest from target groups. Identify their giving practices, their potential for donations, and their relationship with the college (alumni, younger donors, various community groups including ethnic groups, planned giving donors). The following are suggested tactics to accomplish this strategy:
- Solicit faculty assistance in identifying alumni
- Improve alumni database to capture names and good contact information
- Long term: Identify specific numbers of potential donors by target group and set donation goals for giving amounts/types of donations.
- Work with associate groups to increase support to the college
- Develop a marketing strategy incorporating the value and practice of giving
- Develop outreach strategies specific to each target group
- Develop a Planned Giving brochure
- Develop an information video for the Foundation
- Develop a marketing piece using the strategic plan
- Organize a Foundation-sponsored panel series on various issues
- Collaborate with the Long Beach Community College District's marketing program
- Assist the District in promotion of positive accomplishments
Goal No. 2: Enhance Foundation Governance & Communications
Develop a Board leadership and mentoring program.
Formalize Board development and training. The following are suggested tactics to accomplish this strategy:
- Develop a program for orientation of new members and new officers
- Develop a program for developing Board skills and expectations
- Develop the Board structure to support the strategic plan
Strengthen communication by the Foundation with the public, the college, administration, trustees, associate groups, etc.
Develop a public relations (PR) Plan.
Develop on-line documentation strategy for Board activity.
Goal No. 3: Meet the Financial Challenge
To meet the needs of our expanding population, the Foundation must significantly increase both the number and level of scholarships as well as program support and operations. To do this, the Foundation has set a goal of increasing total assets by $5 million by the end of FY 2007 (June 2008).
Expand donor base.
- Tactics include developing a feasibility study.
Develop a comprehensive fundraising plan.
- Tactics include marketing ideas for unrestricted and restricted gifts
Create a procedure to adjust scholarship amounts periodically to reflect increases in the cost of living and Long Beach City College student expenses, subject to annual review and adjustment to compensate for changing fiscal conditions.
Develop a financial management plan to support operations.
Goal No. 4: Strengthen Foundation Operations
Strengthen operational excellence.
Record Foundation operational knowledge (e.g., Policies & Procedures Manual).
Maintain periodic review of Foundation's chief executive performance.
Promote and provide resources for staff training and development.
Improve and enhance use of the Foundation building and operational technology to maximize effectiveness.
Build relationships with college and community groups whose resources could be leveraged to benefit the Foundation.
APPENDIX Annual Evaluation Cycle of LBCC Foundation's Strategic Plan
The Strategic Planning Committee, under the auspices of the Long Beach City College Foundation Executive Committee (Executive Committee), will be responsible for initiating an annual evaluation of the Long Beach City College Foundation Strategic Plan. The evaluation process will be as follows:
- Committees and Associate Groups inclusive of the Task Groups will be responsible for conducting formal reviews and revisions semi-annually (commencing 2005) and preparing progress reports.
- Committees and Associate Groups inclusive of the Task Groups will be responsible for preparing next year's objectives based on the Long Beach City College Foundation's Strategic Plan (Strategic Plan), goals, objectives and activities. Report to be submitted at the end of Foundation's fiscal year, ending June 30th of each year.
- The Strategic Planning Committee reviews the status of Strategic Plan and makes any course adjustments. (Looks for implications for other activities and responsibilities. Looks for major environmental changes affecting the plan.)
- The Strategic Planning Committee publishes an Annual Report based on the Plan incorporating ongoing activities. Report to be submitted to the Executive Committee at the end of the Foundation's fiscal year.
- The Strategic Planning Committee conducts a fresh scan and strategic view of the organization atfiscal year ending June 2008 and subsequent years as requested by the Executive Committee.