Image Spacer
Site Index | Phone Directory | Search
Long Beach City College Image Spacer
Site Navigation
Financial Aid Home
Veterans Services Office Home
New Students
Returning Students
Family Members (Dependents)
Services at the VSO
VetSuccess on Campus
Payment Information
VSO Policy
Eligibility Information
GI Bill and Other Programs
Tuition Fee Waiver
Community Resources
Helpful Links
LBCC Veterans
Veterans Administration
Get Adobe Reader
Image SpacerAdmissionsCounselingDisabled Student ServicesEOPSFinancial Aid
Gray rule
New Students
Veteran Services Office

The following information is for Long Beach City College Students who have never received benefits at Long Beach City College. Please take a moment to review the New Student Checklist.

Step 1: Enroll At Long Beach City College

Please complete the online application to Long Beach City College to obtain your Viking Identification Number. The application can be found on the main page or by clicking here

Step 2: Create a File at the Veteran Services Office

To start the process, please submit all necessary Veterans' Education Benefit forms to the LAC Veteran Services Office. This includes:

  • Submit an Application for Education Benefits utilizing the Veteran Affairs Website VonApp
  • Submit a copy of your DD 214 (if applicable)
  • Submit a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility or 1905 (for Chapter 31 students).
  • If you have ever attended any other institute of higher learning, an official copy of your transcripts are required.
  • Submit all additional paperwork to complete your file:        

  Educational Data Sheet      VSO Requirements Agreement     

Step 3: Placement/Assessment Testing

All new Long Beach City College students must take an assessment exam or a registration hold will be placed on their account. You can view the testing schedule here.

Step 4: Submit an Educational Plan to the Veteran Services Office

A counselor approved educational plan must be obtained and filed in the VA Office before the beginning of the second semester.

Be aware that the VA places restrictions on what courses you may be paid for. You can only be paid for classes that apply toward completion of your degree objective. A counselor's recommendation may not be payable under VA regulations, especially if the class is a 'recommended" elective.

By law, students are also required to declare a major by their second semester. "Undeclared" or "general education" majors are not acceptable for VA purposes.

Step 5: Request Your Benefits Each Semester

Certification is not automatic so make sure to complete the Request for Benefits every semester AFTER you enroll in courses. The current Request for Benefits form can be found on the main page

Step 6: Report Any Changes

Always contact the Veteran Services Office to report any change in your enrollment. Changes such as Add/Drop or Withdrawals, switching courses, etc. need to be reported immediately so that students do not end up owing money back to the VA.