1. Preliminary Application : Complete the International Student Application. (Form in English, only)
2. Application Fee : US$40.00 (Must be submitted with each application)
After submitting your online application, you will receive email with confirmation number. Please use this confirmation number when you make your online payment.
Pay application fee by credit card via secure portal. Please click ONLY one time when you press on submit button. A confirmation receipt will be delivered to your email upon processing your payment. Please be patient!
3. English Proficiency:
Required for students whose first language is not english
Required for applicants to Regular College Academic Programs only.
Applicants to the regular academic college programs must provide proof of English proficiency through one of the following tests or language programs. Please send official transcript or score report from any one of the following (no other test scores will be accepted):
If you fall below the required level/ score, you may enroll in the college's intensive English program: The American Language and Culture Institute (ALCI). Student can also opt to start at ALCI to improve English Skills with no language proficiency requirements. Long Beach City College will issue an I-20 for ALCI. Once you successfully complete the ALCI program, you may enter the regular college program without taking any of the above tests.
4. Financial Requirement : In compliance with immigration requirements, applicants must be able to show that they have the funds needed to pay their academic and living expenses for the duration of their studies. Please review "Tuition, Fees and Expenses" for minimum financial requirements and a list of estimated expenses (Information in English Only) . Also, see " Hints to Help You Prepare Your Financial Documentation ". Proof of financial support must be submitted in the form of an original, official affidavit of support with an original bank statement or letter from a bank officer confirming your sponsor's financial standing. Bank statements printed from the computer cannot be accepted. An Affidavit of Sponsor form is included with the application for your convenience. You may also submit an original statement from a government agency that is granting the support. However, the sponsor MUST be related to the student.
5. Academic Preparation : To be admitted for study at Long Beach City College, you must be over 18 years of age or have earned the equivalent of an American High School diploma if you are under 18 years old. For those under 18 years old, you must provide official high school diploma as evidence of your graduation.
We highly recommend all applicants to submit official copies of high school transcripts which will help your academic counselor in developing your educational plan and course of study at LBCC.
6. Tuberculosis Test : Test results from your doctor are required. The results should be printed on hospital letterhead, and must include the doctor's signature and official seal. Students should request the Mantoux test; the tine test is not accepted. All students who test positive are required to submit the results of a chest x-ray. The United States does not accept the BCG vaccine. Students who test positive because they have had the BCG vaccine will need to submit the results of a chest x-ray. (Please do not send the x-ray film. Send only the doctor's report.)
7. Personal Essay: ALCI applicants do not need to submit an essay. Please submit a hand-written essay explaining why you want to study at Long Beach City College and discussing your future goals. If you plan to transfer to a university, you may wish to talk about that in your essay as well. Your essay should be at least one page long, but may be longer.
8. Copy of Passport: Submit a copy of the information page from your passport and any dependants if applicable. Showing the full legal names in English. We will use the same name to issue your I-20.
9. Transferring Students or Change of Status Students in the U.S. : Please submit copies of the visa, passport and a copy of the front and back of your I-94. Transferring students from another college or university, also submit a copy of pages 1 and 3 of your current I-20, and LBCC Transfer Eligibility Form completed by your current advisor.
10. College & University Transcripts: Please bring official, original transcripts of course taken at other colleges and universities to orientation. Foreign transcripts must be accompanied by certified English translations. A transcript is an official document from your school showing all of your classes and grades received from that particular school.
What happens next?
Upon acceptance to Long Beach City College , your I-20 and other college information will be sent along with your orientation materials. (Orientation is usually scheduled 2 weeks before the start of the semester.) If you are transferring from a school within the U.S.A. and do not have plans to leave the country before beginning the semester, your I-20 will be issued to you after you have registered for classes.
Receiving your documents: If you would like to receive your I-20 and admission documents by express mail, please pre-pay for shipping at https://study.eshipglobal.com. Create an account and pre-pay. When you are asked to enter a "Student ID #", please enter 99905. We will print out the shipping label and mail out your documents. We can also ship your documents by airmail at no charge to you.
(Note: we can not send I-20 package through Express Service purchased outside Eshipglobal.)
| Fall (August) Regular College Program Semester
|Spring (January) Regular College Program Semester
| Spring A (Jan. - March) ALCI Program
| Spring B (March - May) ALCI Program
| Summer (June - July) ALCI Program
| Fall A (Aug. - Oct.) ALCI Program
| Fall B (Oct. - Dec.) ALCI Program
- Health and Insurance : All students are required to purchase the health insurance policy provided by the college after they arrive on campus. For additional information about this insurance policy, please visit: https://studentinsuranceusa.com/
- Housing and Transportation : Students may select either local apartments or a homestay with an American host family. The cost of housing varies with the type and location, and ranges from economical to luxurious. For more information, refer to the Housing section.
International Student Office
Long Beach City College
4901 E. Carson Street, (B-9)
Long Beach , CA 90808
Need Help? Please contact us via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org, by telephone at (562) 938-4745, by fax at (562) 938-4747, or by post at the above address. Visit our web site at http://www.lbcc.edu/international. All of us in the International Student Office will be very happy to answer your questions and help you complete your application.