Before you enroll in classes, you must show proof of college-sponsored medical insurance.
LBCC utilizes the Student Insurance for our student health insurance. You can visit their site to purchase your insurance online, download a brochure and/or review the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's).
How to Enroll for Health Insurance Online (paper enrollment available in the ISO)
1. Go to the website: www.studentinsuranceusa.com
2. Click on "International Plans" (down the left hand side; in blue)
3. Select a State (California) in the drop-down box
4. Select your School (Long Beach City College) in the drop-down box
5. Click on "Apply Online Now"
6. Create an Account (with username and password)
7. Login and choose the desired coverage (for a semester or for the academic year)
8. Continue to payment, select mode of payment, and pay by credit card
9. Print receipt and bring to International Student Office
How to Use Your Student Insurance
Your Student Insurance is a very good policy. It covers all reasonable and customary expenses related to accidents and illnesses. Following is some advice to help you use your insurance.
- Your insurance will pay any doctor that provides a covered service due to an accident or illness. We do not have a list of doctors because there is no limit to the doctors that you can see. You can even go to an acupuncture doctor. Your insurance covers it!
- At most locations, it will be very easy to use your insurance. A few doctors or clinics will not accept your insurance because they do not recognize it. You can ask them to telephone the number on your card to verify that they will be paid. If they are not willing to do this, you can pay the fees yourself. You can then mail the receipts to the insurance company, and the insurance will reimburse you. If you need assistance with this, please make an appointment at the International Student Office (ISO).
- If you need medication, ask the pharmacy to bill the insurance company. In almost every case, they will be very happy to do that. If they are not willing to do that, you can pay for the medication yourself, then send the receipt to the insurance company to get a reimbursement. Come to the ISO if you need assistance.
To get the most out of your insurance policy, you must follow some important steps. Every time you want to use your insurance, please do the following:
- First, go to the Student Health Services Offices (LAC - Q120, PCC - AA101), and aks the school nurse for a "Deductible Waiver" form. If you do not get a Deductible Waiver from the nurse, you will have to pay the $100 deductible.
- After you get your waiver, go to the doctor of your choice. In the unlikely event that the doctor is unwilling to bill the insurance company, pay the doctor yourself, then submit the receipt to the insurance company.
- If you receive any confusing information from the insurance company or from the doctor, please visit the International Student Office. If you have any difficulty using your insurance, please tell us and we will do our best to help you. Insurance forms in the US can be very complicated, so please do not hesitate to ask for help!