Are you new to Long Beach City College ?
Would you like to learn strategies to be a better student?
Would you like to have a fellow student lend you a helping hand?
If you answered "yes" to any of these questions, then you are invited to join Leaders Across Campus!
What is Leaders Across Campus (LAC) and International Friends Mentoring Program?
It is a peer mentoring program at Long Beach City College. Successful student share their experience, knowledge and "secrets of success" with new international students to promote the academic excellence of new students.
Mentoring involves "students helping students succeed." Mentors offer new students friendship, support and advice to help them succeed in college. Mentors and international student will meet at least once each week to share their learning experience at Long Beach City College.
How can a Mentor (International Friend) help You?
- Getting on track for College
- Exploring Colleges and Universities
- Support and Encouragement
- Campus Involvement
- Answering important questions about LBCC
- Scavenger Hunt of Student Services
- Exploring careers, and scholarships
- Strategies for Academic Success at Long Beach City College
- The Mentors/Friends are caring and very friendly students.
- The Mentors/Friends are committed to helping you be successful
What does being in "Leaders and Friends" involve?
- Meeting with your Mentor once a week to talk about how things are going
- Studying on campus with your Mentor, or attending a workshop together
- Visiting student resource areas on campus, such as the Career Center, Student Bridge Center, Tutoring Labs, the Child Development Center
- Learning about time management, study habits, and other helpful information
- Practicing Conversational English
- Gaining a lifetime friendship with your Mentor/International Friend
- Having fun while learning together!
How do you get involved?
If you are a NEW student, and would like assistance from a peer Mentor, take the first step and complete an application and submit it to Judy Oh in M-232. The application is also available in the International Student Office.
If you have questions, please stop by our office, or call us at (562) 938-4359 or (562) 938-4236.
Hope to see you soon!