Image Spacer
Site Index | Phone Directory | Search
Long Beach City College Image Spacer
Site Navigation
Transfer Center Home
Career and Job Services Home
Meet Our Staff
Our Services
Transfer Center Calendar of Events
Register for Workshop Here
Application Links
UC/CSU Transfer Pyramid
Transfer Toolkit
University Information
Transfer Definitions
Transfer FAQ's
Online Counseling Services
GE Certification Info
GE Course Patterns
Discover/Explore Majors & Careers
Associate Degree for Transfer Guides
Transfer Information - ASSIST
Curriculum Guides
Assessment Test Link
Schedule of Classes
Personal Statement
Get Adobe Reader
Image SpacerAdmissionsCounselingDisabled Student ServicesEOPSFinancial Aid
Gray rule
Certification of Courses
Transfer Center

Campus 3 Why is GE Certification important?

GE Certification is NOT an admissions requirement to the university. However, getting your GE certified can save you from taking several more GE courses at the university. GE certification means that LBCC tells your university that you do not need to take any more lower-division general education courses at their university. You may still transfer without your certification. However, you cannot graduate from your university after you transfer without the completion of lower division general education courses. Some universities will NOT allow you to come back to LBCC to get "certified" after you have started coursework at their university. For example, if you leave LBCC without your Plan C certification (IGETC Certification), you will not be allowed to come back to LBCC and gain this certification. You will be stuck finishing UC general education courses. Get your GE certification before you leave LBCC!!!

What is a CSU GE Certification? (Plan B)

Completion of the General Education Certification (GE Certification - LBCC Plan B) will allow a student to transfer to the California State University (CSU) system without requiring any additional lower division GE courses after transfer. As long as the student only attended LBCC, meeting with a counselor is not required. If you have taken GE courses at other schools, you must make an appointment with a counselor to complete your CSU Certification. If you have not taken GE courses at other schools, you do not need to see a counselor for CSU Certification. In this case, the blue form attached to the LBCC transcript request form will need to be completed and submitted for the GE Certification to be processed.

What is an IGETC Certification? (Plan C)

Completion of the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC - LBCC Plan C) will permit transfer to a campus in either the University of California or California State University system without requiring additional lower division coursework to be completed after transfer. Meeting with a counselor prior to requesting transcripts and prior to transfer is required to obtain IGETC Certification.

When do I apply for certification?

Students normally apply for certification during their last semester at Long Beach City College. Students who want Plan C (IGETC) certification must meet with a counselor and must process the paperwork prior to transferring to the university. Students who have taken any GE courses at other schools must meet with a LBCC counselor for certification.
Campus 5