Design 2 Tuition Free Initiative
The Long Beach College Promise (The Promise) was formed to solidify a seamless pathway to college and career for students. The Promise follows a timeline of collaboration dating back to the Long Beach Seamless Education Initiative in 1994. Based on the belief that there should be no barriers to college for any student, leaders in Long Beach Unified School District (LBUSD), Long Beach City College (LBCC), and California State University, Long Beach (CSULB) joined to form the initial Promise in 2008. This partnership expanded in 2014 to include the City of Long Beach and in 2018 welcomed its first industry partner, the Port of Long Beach. In addition to priority registration for members of the Long Beach College Promise, over the years partners within The Promise have collaborated to provide college tours for 4th and 5th graders, a middle school pledge, as well as a year of free tuition and priority registration for participating high school graduates.
In September 2018, the Promise elevated to “Promise 2.0,” an effort that will transform the lives of students in the greater Long Beach Community.
Promise 2.0 offers a wide range of benefits. By attending LBCC, students have access to the Port of Long Beach and other industry partners and their vast internship and employment network.
LBUSD seniors who attend LBCC the fall semester immediately following their spring 2019 graduation also receive two years of free tuition at LBCC (students should demonstrate successful progress towards a certificate, degree, or transfer each term).
For LBUSD seniors who enroll at LBCC and are interested in transferring to CSULB, Promise 2.0 also offers the following enhanced benefits:
- Dual advising under a “cohort” model from both LBCC Counselors and CSULB Academic Advisors.
- Access to special events and a student ID card for both LBCC and CSULB.
- Career exploration activities with both LBCC and CSULB.
What is LBCP Promise 2.0?
It is a guaranteed transfer admission to California State University Long Beach (CSULB). It is available for the 10 majors only:
Promise 2.0 students will have access to:
- With the future student ID card student will gain: access to select CSULB Athletic events, the CSULB library, and select student clubs and organizations
Eligibility for the Long Beach College Promise 2.0
Additional Requirements for Promise 2.0:
1. Apply for Admission to LBCC at www.LBCC.edu
2. Apply for FAFSA or CA Dream Act
3. Complete LBCC’s online orientation
4. View course placements
5. Meet with a LBCC Counselor
6. Enroll into LBCC courses