Returning Students

The following information is for continuing or returning Long Beach City College Students.


Submit all necessary Veterans’ Education Benefit forms to the LAC Veteran Services Office to update your file. Since many returning students have changed their major, this may include:

  • VA ; Request for Change of Program or Place of Training 


  • VA Form 22-5495, Request for Change of Program or Place of Training (Chapter 35-dependent students only)

Request Your Benefits Each Semester

Certification is not automatic, so make sure to complete the Request for Benefits form AFTER you have enrolled in courses.

Report Any Changes

Always contact the Veteran Services Office to report any change in your enrollment. Changes such as Add/Drop or Withdrawals, switching courses, etc. need to be reported immediately so that students do not end up owing money back to the VA.

Submit an Educational Plan to the Veteran Services Office

A counselor approved educational plan must be obtained and filed in the VA Office before the beginning of the second semester.

  • A new educational plan must be submitted to the Veteran Services Office each time you change your major/degree objective.
  • You will receive a copy of the educational plan; it is imperative that you follow it and enroll only in courses required for your stated degree objective. Please bring our office a copy once you have one.

Be aware that the VA places restrictions on what courses you may be paid for. You can only be paid for classes that apply toward completion of your degree objective. A counselor’s recommendation may not be payable under VA regulations, especially if the class is a “recommended” elective.

By law, students are also required to declare a major by their second semester. “Undeclared” or “general education” majors are not acceptable for VA purposes.


Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on-line to determine eligibility for financial aid programs (www.fafsa.ed.gov). the FASFA and the GI Bill are completely separate programs, and one does not affect or determine the other. You must submit a new FAFSA every school year.