Become a Tutor
Help other students succeed!
The Success Centers are always looking for responsible and dynamic individuals to tutor a variety of subjects. If you are interested in applying for a tutoring position for the next semester, please complete the Pre-Interview Survey. Once completed, if you meet all the minimum requirements, you will be invited to the next round of screening interviews which usually takes place 1-2 months before the next semester begins.
For questions about applying for or working as a Success Center tutor, please contact Sean Dominguez or Susan Fintland.
Requirements for becoming a tutor
- Completion of each subject you wish to tutor with an earned grade of B or higher.
- Prove your status as a full-time (12 units) student if you are an undergraduate attending a community college or university, or be enrolled in at least three units if you are a graduate student or enrolled in a credential program.
- Submit a completed Employment Application and Availability Schedule.
- Submit a copy of your unofficial transcripts indicating completed coursework and grades.
- Have an instructor in the discipline you wish to tutor complete and submit the .
- Faculty may also complete the Online Academic Reference Form
- Be interviewed by the appropriate Success Center supervisor.
Guidelines as a Tutor
- Complete a five-week training program that will introduce you to the basic concepts of tutoring (your supervisor will explain the specific course requirements).
- Submit proof of current full-time enrollment.
- Complete ongoing training (in the form of an orientation or training sessions) at the specific Success Center where you are hired.
- Attend regular meetings as assigned (varies by Success Center).
- FOR NEW LBCC EMPLOYEES: You must fill out and submit the necessary forms for Human Resources/ Payroll, complete a TB test and possibly a LiveScan background check before you begin work.
Additional Tutoring Information
- Tutors are paid $14 - $16/hr according to their experience as tutors and their conferred degree.
- Tutors will be able to work for a maximum of six semesters, subject to semesterly evaluation by their supervisor.
- Tutors can work a maximum of 20 hours per week, subject to departmental budget and availability of hours.
- FOR ENGLISH TUTORS ONLY. Please submit a writing sample of at least three pages and in MLA format along with your application materials. This can be a paper you have submitted for a class, as long as it is a clean copy (no instructor marks, grade, etc).