COVID-19 FAQs for Students
Check here for updates!




Is LBCC closing? Do I attend class in-person?

The anticipated date of return to campus is Wed., June 10. However, this date may change as this health crisis evolves.

What should students do now?

Please prepare now for receiving instruction online by reviewing the following:

If you need additional assistance, please contact the Student Technology Help Desk at (562) 938-4250 or

Here is a helpful “Stop the Spread of Germs” infograph in English and Spanish.

I am a DSPS student. What about special accommodation?

Disabled Student Programs and Services (DSP&S) is in the process of contacting all faculty who provide instruction to students with a disability or chronic illness or injury, to help address any questions regarding course adaptations or accommodations as we move to remote teaching.

Students with a disability or chronic illness or injury may also reach out to DSP&S for further support with arranging accommodations as LBCC moves to remote teaching. Please contact DSP&S at (562) 938-4558 (LAC) or (562) 938-3921 (PCC), and

I am an International Student. Will my student visa be affected due to the online teaching change?

Under the F1/M1 student visa regulation you can only take ONE (3 units) distance learning course per semester. As LBCC prepares to move most of our face-to-face classes to temporary online instruction, please note that our International Students will not be affected by this temporary change as they continue to make academic progress. The class instruction conversion will begin March 18, 2020 through June 10, 2020 (this date subject to change as this health crisis evolves).

The Student Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) will continue to provide updated guidance and we will make certain that you are informed of any changes pertaining to your student visa during this time. Please make sure that your email and home address is up to date in our system (PeopleSoft/Viking Portal and International Office) and continue to monitor your messages closely for important updates.

COVID-19: Guidance for SEVP Stakeholders – Guidance for Students:

Please contact the International Student Programs Department if you have any questions at (562) 938-4745, and

What LBCC Services will be open?

Although the campus is closed, LBCC Student Support Services released a tremendously helpful “microsite” listing their remote services. Click here to check out the latest information regarding Basic Needs, Disabled Student Services, EOPS/CARE/NextUP, Student Health Services, Counseling and more.

If you find yourself needing to talk to someone in a specific department, you can call (562) 938-4111 to follow the prompts to the area you need.

What if I cannot successfully log into the Viking Portal?

The Viking Portal is where Canvas lives. Therefore, be sure that you can log into this link:

If you cannot, you need to refer to our Student Technology Help Desk

What should I do if I am a Federal Work-Study Student?

Federal Work-Study (FWS) Students will not be able to report to their work assignments beginning on March 18, 2020 and until the College deems it safe to return to in-person classes. The anticipated date of return to campus is June 10, 2020. The FWS students will still be paid for the hours that they were expecting to work. FWS Supervisors can make arrangements with students about working remotely, whenever possible.

Will the Viking Vault food pantries be open to students?

The Viking Vault Food Pantry will be open for grab-n-go pre-packaged bags on Tuesdays from 12 p.m. – 3 p.m. at the Liberal Arts Campus (LAC, E-131) only. Non-perishable groceries will be packaged ahead of time and available to LBCC students only. Students must present their LBCC student ID. 

Pre-packaged grab-n-go bags outside of E-131

Please contact Di Lohay, Interim Basic Needs Program Manager, with questions at (562) 938-3241 or Please leave a message with name, LBCC student ID #, and contact phone number.

I don’t have Wi-Fi at home. Can I bring my laptop and come to campus to take my online class?

No. Both campuses are closed to students and members of the public.  

However, both Comcast and Charter (Spectrum) Communications are offering free internet access to low-income students. 

If you don’t have internet access, it is recommended that you call Comcast or Charter Communications, as local libraries and other institutions that usually offer free wi-fi are closed due to COVID-19. 


  • (855) 846-8376 English 
  • (855) 765-6995 Spanish 

Charter Communications 

  • (844) 488-8395 

Will the Student Technology Help Desk be open and available to us?

Yes, as of today, you can email the STHD. Contact STHD at

Why do I need to make sure my personal information is up-to-date?

Be sure your personal information is up to date in the Student Viking System so that we can provide you with real-time updates via text and email. A referral guide is listed on the Student Technology Help Desk website and support is available within Admissions and Records.

COVID-19 is stressing me out! Is there help for me?

These changes may cause some stress and uncertainty. If you notice someone who has been impacted by the situation created by COVID-19, please remind them that help is available. For students, please contact Student Health Services.

I can’t afford a computer. What do I do?

Long Beach City College is partnering with a non-profit organization called “human-I-T” to provide the digital resources needed to support you in participating in your coursework remotely. Qualified students are eligible to receive assistance from human-I-T to ensure access to hard to find low-cost internet plans.

For families looking for reliable internet connection ($15/month), with no contract and quick

delivery, or a low-cost computer, you can purchase these resources easily through human-I-T’s website Proof of low-income status is required.

Also, companies such as Comcast and Charter Communications have offered low-income students free wi-fi for the next two months. Please contact these two companies to see the qualifications and how to start service.

Will the Viking Voyager still be operating between the Liberal Arts and Pacific Coast Campuses? 

No. As of now, the Viking Voyager will return to service on Wed., June 8, 2020. 

Do students need to open a ConferZoom account?  

No. Students do NOT need to have a ConferZoom account in order to participate in a remote instruction/online session with their instructor. Students can join sessions in their Canvas class so long as the Instructor has it set up, or they can join a session with a link from their instructor. This will depend on the instructor’s use. Student guides on how to use ConferZoom in Canvas can be found here. Students do NOT need the ConferZoom App, although they may use it if desired.  

How do students reset their password? 

Students CAN reset their own password via the Viking Portal. If they need support, a step-by-step guide and video can be found here.  

As students are re-setting their password, it is advisable that students check NOW if their personal email and phone is up-to-date in the Student Viking System as they will need to be able to access their personal accounts to receive a one-time-passcode to reset their password.  

What if I need more help to set up for temporary remote instruction/online? 
Your question could be answered by checking the Student Remote Instruction/Online page or the Student FAQs for assistance with Canvas, Office 365, the Viking Portal, etc. If you need additional help, please email the Student Technology Help Desk at 


¿Estará cerrado el Colegio de Long Beach LBCC? ¿Puedo asistir a mis clases en persona?

Se anticipa que el día para regresar al colegio será el miércoles 10 de junio. Sin embargo, esta fecha puede cambiar dependiendo de como evolucione la crisis de salud actual.

¿Que deberían de hacer los estudiantes ahora?

Por favor prepárese para recibir instrucciones en línea haciendo clic en los siguientes enlaces:

Si necesita ayuda adicional, por favor comuníquese al número de Ayuda Tecnológica para Estudiantes (562) 938-4250 o

Aquí hay una infografía útil de como “Detener la propagación de gérmenes” en Inglés y en Español.

Soy un estudiante discapacitado – DSPS.  ¿Tienen acomodaciones especiales para mi?

El Programa y los Servicios para Estudiantes Discapacitados (DSP&S) está en el proceso de comunicarse con los instructores que dan clases a estudiantes con discapacidades o enfermedades crónicas para responder a las preguntas referentes a las adaptaciones o acomodaciones durante el periodo de enseñanza remota.

Los estudiantes con discapacidades o enfermedades crónicas también se pueden comunicar con DSP&S para obtener mas ayuda con acomodaciones especiales a medida que el colegio se cambia al sistema de enseñanza remota. Por favor llame a la oficina de DSP&S al número (562) 938-4558 (LAC) o (562) 938-3921 (PCC) y

Soy un Estudiante Internacional.  ¿Será afectada mi visa de estudiante debido al cambio de enseñanza en línea?

Bajo las regulaciones de la visa de estudiante F1/M1, usted puede tomar solamente UNA clase a larga distancia de 3 unidades por semestre. A medida que el colegio se prepara para trasladar la mayoría de las clases en persona a instrucción en línea temporal, los estudiantes internacionales no serán afectados por este cambio temporal en tanto que ellos continúen progresando académicamente.  La conversión de la instrucción de las clases en línea comenzara el miércoles 18 de marzo y seguirá hasta el miércoles10 de junio del año 2020 (esta fecha está sujeta a cambio dependiendo de como evolucione la crisis de salud actual.

El programa de intercambio de estudiantes (SEVP) continuará proveyendo una guía actualizada para asegurarse que usted este informado de cualquier cambio relacionado a su visa de estudiante durante este tiempo. Por favor asegúrese de que su correo electrónico y la dirección de su casa están actualizadas en nuestro sistema de PeopleSoft/Viking Portal y en la oficina internacional. Continúe revisando sus mensajes para mantenerse actualizado.

Enlace para la Guía de los Estudiantes — COVID-19: Guidance for SEVP Stakeholders –

Si tiene alguna pregunta, por favor comuníquese con el Departamento del Programa de Estudiantes Internacionales al número (562) 938-4745 o

¿Qué servicios estarán disponibles en el colegio LBCC?

Aunque el colegio estará cerrado, los servicios de apoyo al estudiante ha publicado una lista de servicios remotos llamada ‘microsite” tremendamente útil. Haga clic aqui para ver la información mas reciente de las Necesidades Básicas, Servicios para Estudiantes Discapacitados, EOPS/CARE/NextUP, Servicios de Salud al Estudiante, Consejería y más.

Si usted necesita hablar con alguien en un departamento específico, usted puede llamar al (562) 938-4111 y seguir las indicaciones que lo transfieran al área que necesita.

¿Qué puedo hacer si no puedo ingresar exitosamente a mi portal del Viking?

El portal del Viking es donde se encuentra el programa de Canvas; por lo tanto asegúrese de que puede ingresar a este enlace:

Si usted no puede ingresar al enlace, usted necesitará consultar al Student Technology Help Desk

¿Que debería de hacer si soy un estudiante del programa Federal de Estudio y Trabajo Combinado?

Los estudiantes del programa Federal de Estudio y Trabajo combinado (FWS) no podrán reportarse a sus asignaciones de trabajo a partir del 18 de marzo del 2020 hasta que el colegio considere que sea seguro regresar a las clases en persona. El día anticipado para regresar al colegio es el miércoles 10 de junio del año 2020. A dichos estudiantes se les pagarán las horas que estaban supuestos a trabajar.  Los supervisores de los FWS pueden hacer arreglos con los estudiantes para que trabajen remotamente siempre que sea posible.

¿Estará abierta la despensa de comida del Viking Vault para los estudiantes?

La despensa de comida Viking Vault estará abierta para recoger bolsas de comida empacada los días martes de 12pm a 3pm en Liberal Arts Campus (LAC, E-131). Comestibles enlatados serán empacados con anticipación y estarán disponibles únicamente para los estudiantes de LBCC quienes deben mostrar su identificación (ID) de LBCC. Los paquetes para recoger estarán afuera de E-131.

Por favor contacte al supervisor del Programa de Necesidades Básicas Di Lohay con sus preguntas al número (562) 938-3241 o en Por favor deje su mensaje con su nombre, número de identificación de estudiante y su número de teléfono.

No tengo Wi-Fi en mi casa. ¿Podría llevar mi computador portátil al colegio y tomar mi clase en linea?

No. Ambas localidades del colegio estarán cerradas a los estudiantes y el público.  Sin embargo, tanto Comcast como Charter (Spectrum) Communications están ofreciendo acceso a la internet gratis para estudiantes de bajo ingreso. 

 Si usted no tiene acceso a la internet, se recomienda que llame a Comcast or Charter Communications por que las bibliotecas locales y otras instituciones que usualmente ofrecen wi-fi gratis estarán cerradas debido al virus COVID-19. 


  • (855) 846-8376 Inglés 
  • (855) 765-6995 Español 

Charter Communications

  • (844) 488-8395 

¿Estará disponible la línea de ayuda tecnológica al estudiante?

Si, a partir de hoy, usted puede escribir al correo electrónico STHD. Contacte STHD en

¿Por que necesito asegurarme de que mi información personal este actualizada?

Asegúrese de que su información personal este actualizada en el sistema del estudiante Viking para que nosotros podamos enviarle información actualizada por medio de textos o correos electrónicos.  Hay una guía de referencia listada en el sitio de la red Student Technology Help Desk y también hay apoyo disponible en Admisiones y Registros.

¡El virus COVID-19 me produce estrés! ¿Hay ayuda para mi?

Estos cambios pueden causar estrés e incertidumbre. Si observa que alguien ha sido impactado por la situación creada por el virus COVID-19, por favor recuérdele que hay ayuda disponible. Los estudiantes pueden contactar Student Health Services.

No puedo pagar por una computadora. ¿Qué puedo hacer?

El Colegio de Long Beach está asociado con una organización no lucrativa llamada “human-I-T” que provee los recursos digitales necesarios para apoyarle en la participación de sus cursos remotos.  Los estudiantes que califiquen son elegibles para recibir ayuda de human-I-T y así asegurar el acceso a los planes de internet de bajo costo.

Para las familias que buscan una conexión de internet confiable ($15 al mes), sin contrato con envío rápido o una computadora barata, pueden fácilmente comprar estos productos mediante el sitio de internet de human-I-T Se requiere prueba de bajo ingreso.

También compañías como Comcast and Charter Communications ofrecen a los estudiantes de bajo ingreso wi-fi gratis por los siguientes dos meses. Por favor contacte estas dos compañías para ver si califica y ver como empezar el servicio.

¿Estará operando el bus Viking Voyager entre el Liberal Arts y el Pacific Coast Campuses? 

No. A partir de hoy, el bus Viking Voyager no regresará al servicio de transportación hasta el miércoles 8 de junio del 2020. 

¿Necesitan los estudiantes abrir una cuenta de ConferZoom?  

No. Los estudiantes NO necesitan tener una cuenta de ConferZoom para poder participar en las sesiones de clase en línea o de instrucción remota con sus profesores.  Los estudiantes pueden conectarse a las sesiones en sus clases en Canvas en tanto que el instructor lo haya programado asi o haya proveído un enlace.  Esto dependerá del uso del instructor. Las guías de como usar ConferZoom en Canvas pueden ser encontradas aquí.  Los estudiantes NO necesitan bajar la aplicación de ConferZoom, aunque pueden usarla si así lo desean.

¿Cómo pueden los estudiantes restablecer su contraseña? 

Los estudiantes pueden restablecer su contraseña en el Portal Viking. Los estudiantes PUEDEN encontrar ayuda y una guía paso a paso y un video para restablecer su contraseña aquí.

Es importante que los estudiantes se aseguren de que su correo electrónico y su número de teléfono estén actualizados en el sistema del estudiante Viking porque ellos necesitarán acceso a sus cuentas personales para recibir un código de paso único para restablecer su contraseña.

¿Qué puedo hacer si necesito mas ayuda para conectarme a las clases de instrucción en línea desde mi casa?

Usted puede encontrar respuestas a sus preguntas en la página de la red “Student Remote Instruction/Online” o en “Student FAQs” para ayuda con Canvas, Office 365, el Portal de Viking, etc. Si necesita ayuda adicional, por favor envíe un correo electrónico a la línea de Ayuda Tecnológica para el Estudiante


To view the COVID-19 Student FAQs in Khmer, please download the COVID-19 FAQs for Students (Khmer)