Apply to be a Tutor
The Success Centers are always looking for responsible and dynamic individuals to tutor a variety of subjects.
For questions about applying for or working as a Success Center tutor, contact:
Sean Dominguez, Tutorial Program Coordinator for PCC email@example.com (562.938.3977) or Susan Fintland, Tutorial Program Coordinator for LAC firstname.lastname@example.org (562.938.4740).
In order to be hired as a tutor at LBCC, you must:
- Have completed each subject you wish to tutor with an earned grade of B or better.
- Prove your status as a full-time (12-units) student if you are an undergraduate attending a community college or university, or be enrolled in at least one class if you are a graduate student or enrolled in a credential program.
- Submit a completed Employment Application and Availability Schedule.
- Submit a copy of your transcripts indicating completed coursework and grades.
- Have an instructor in the discipline you wish to tutor complete and submit the confidential .
- Be interviewed by the appropriate Success Center supervisor.
If you are hired as a tutor, you must:
- Complete a six-week training program that will introduce you to the basic concepts of tutoring. (Your supervisor will explain the specific course requirements.)
- Submit proof of current full-time enrollment.
- Complete ongoing training (in the form of an orientation and/or training sessions) at the specific Success Center where you are hired.
- Attend regular meetings as assigned (varies by Success Center).
- For new LBCC employees: You must fill out and submit the necessary forms for Human Resources/ Payroll, complete a TB test and possibly a LiveScan background check before you begin work.
- Tutors are paid according to their experience as tutors and conferred degree. The range is between $10.5 and $15 per hour.
- Tutors will be able to work for a maximum of six semesters, subject to semesterly evaluation by their supervisor.
- Tutors can work a maximum of 20 hours per week, subject to departmental budget and availability of hours.
- FOR ENGLISH TUTORS ONLY: Please submit a writing sample of at least three pages and in MLA format along with your application materials. This can be a paper you have submitted for a class, as long as it is a clean copy (no instructor marks, grade, etc).