The mission of Long Beach City College is its commitment “to providing equitable student learning and achievement, academic excellence, and workforce development by delivering high-quality educational programs and support services to our diverse communities.” To ensure this is taking place, SLO assessment at the institutional level focuses on students’ abilities to meet the ISLOs. In March 2019, the following ISLOs were approved by the College:
- Appreciate and interpret a range of cultural expression in the arts and humanities to generate useful and original ideas.
- Effectively communicate with, and respond to, varied audiences in written, spoken, signed, or artistic forms.
- Demonstrate critical thinking, problem-solving, and diagnostics skills with an understanding of research, science, as well as information literacy and quantitative reasoning.
- Critically and ethically engage in global and local issues with sensitivity to the diversity of individuals, groups, and cultures.
- Demonstrate the skills required to successfully enter and advance in the workforce, fulfill one’s educational goals, and make lifestyle choices that promote personal well-being.