Applications Due Wednesday, March 31, 2021
The Long Beach City College Foundation exists for the purpose of providing financial support to faculty, staff, and programs that support students. The Foundation grant program is one major way that support is provided. Several grants are awarded annually to support projects based on need, impact, and innovation. Special consideration is given to projects that include matching funds.
There are three (3) different amounts awarded based on the different categories.
- The first category consists of one (1) $5,000 grant. Applications are to be submitted only by School Deans. The submissions will be judged based on the impact made on the entire School, consisting of several departments. In addition, the submissions must meet the criteria listed below.
- The second category consists of four (4) $2,500 grants. Applications are to be submitted only by Department Heads. These submissions will be judged based on a collaborative effort consisting of 2 or more departments, crossing departmental boundaries to affect change. This can include departments within Academic Services, or departments within Student Services, or between department in Academic Services and Student Services. In addition, the submissions must meet the criteria listed below.
- The third category consists of twenty-five (25) $1,000 individual grants. Applications can be submitted by any faculty member, staff member, or administrator. These grants will be judged based on their individual merits as well as the criteria listed below.
To apply for a Foundation grant, please download and submit the following documents:
If you have any questions, please contact Matt Guardabascio in the Foundation Office.
Who is eligible to apply for a Foundation grant?
Any Long Beach City College faculty member, staff member, or administrator may apply. If a grant was received the previous year, an evaluation of that project must be submitted with the current application in order for a current submission to be considered. In order to assist as many areas of the college as possible, multiple submissions from one department/area is discouraged. Associated Student Body campus clubs are not eligible for Foundation grants and are encouraged to apply for grants provided by the ASB grant process.
What is the deadline for submitting the application?
To be considered, an completed electronic application must be submitted to Matt Guardabascio (email@example.com) by 12:00pm Wednesday, March 31, 2021. No late submissions will be accepted.
What criteria will be used?
The criteria that the grants committee will use when considering each application include:
- College Mission – Is the project consistent with the college mission?
- Need – Why is this project needed?To what degree will the project serve the LBCC population?
- Innovation – Will the project encourage new, imaginative, creative, exciting ideas?
- Impact – Will the project be viewed as a meaningful expenditure of Foundations funds?Does the project promote and enhance the reputation of the college in the broader community?
- Leverage – Will the project be leveraged by additional funds from a different source?
- Project Schedule – Can the activities included in the project realistically be completed?
- Budget Detail – Are the expenditures realistic and an appropriate use of Foundation funds?
Who will evaluate the applications?
A special committee consisting of members of the Foundation Board of Governors will evaluate, rank and recommend to the Foundation Executive Committee the projects to be funded. The Foundation Executive Committee will review those projects to assure they meet the mission of the college. The number of projects funded is dependent on available funds as well as the quality of the projects submitted. The Foundation Executive Committee will authorize the college President to announce the grant recipients.
When will the funds be available?
Funds will be made available between the dates of July 1, 2021 and June 30, 2022. All projects must be completed and expensed during this timeframe. Funds will be released based on the project schedule and cannot be spent on any item not included in the budget. Based on Foundation accounting principles and auditing requirements, detailed invoices must be submitted before any funds will be disbursed.