Summer General Education Program Page


General Education

The Certificate of Achievement in CSUGE Breadth and IGETC (Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum) will provide students with the required general education coursework needed for transfer to a four-year university in California. Upon completion, students will have fulfilled the minimum lower division general education requirements for a Bachelors’ degree, thereby allowing them to focus on their upper-division curriculum in their major after transfer.


Choosing a GE pattern that best aligns with your transfer goal is important to ensure successful transfer to a University of your choice.

CSU GE Breadth: Plan B
Completion of General Education Pattern Plan B will allow a student to transfer to the California State University (CSU) system without requiring any additional lower-division GE courses after transfer.
Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC): Plan C
Completion of the IGETC Pattern Plan C will permit transfer to a campus in either a University of California or California State University system without requiring additional lower-division coursework to be completed after transfer.

Degrees & Certificates

Certificate of Achievement, CSU GE Breadth

Certificate of Achievement, IGETC

Frequently Asked Questions

Certificate of Achievement CSU GE Breadth (Plan B) or IGETC (Plan C)

Does completing CSU GE Breadth or IGETC certificate of achievement means I am GE certified after I transfer? 

No, students will need to request GE certification for IGETC or Pass-Along (certifying courses from other institutions for CSU GE Breadth). Students may find additional information on the Transfer Center website.

Once I complete either certificate, will I be able to transfer? 

No, students must complete a minimum of 60 transferable units to include general education, electives, and/or major preparation courses for transfer admissions. Please see a counselor to ensure all minimum requirements are completed. You may also find additional major preparation courses for transfer on

What is an Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT)?

The Associate Degree for Transfer are associate degrees that are fully transferable to the CSU and are no more than 60 semester units. The ADT is different than a LBCC Associate degree and does not guarantee admission to a CSU. Please see a counselor for more information.