Honors Benefits, Requirements & Certification
Learn about how the Honors Program can help you
In order to remain in the Honors Program, you must meet certain requirements during your enrollment at Long Beach City College.
BENEFITS OF HONORS PROGRAM
Major benefits of the program include scholarships, transfer program agreements, participation as a President’s Scholar, and Academic Senate Scholar Awards. Some additional benefits include the following:
- Small class sizes.
- Honors academic counseling.
- Participation in the National Collegiate Honors Council (NCHC).
- Access to transfer scholarships.
- Guaranteed priority consideration for transfer in most majors (except film, fine arts, music, computer science, engineering, theater, nursing, graphic design, and architecture) at UCLA.
- Letters of recommendation.
- A chance to participate in the Honors Transfer Council Student Research Conference (HTCC), held each spring at UCI.
- Honors study lounge with computers and printer
- Social events, potlucks, lecture series, field trips.
- Eligibility for THE club, an Honors-student only school club.
- An honors student should be intellectually curious about all fields of study and should treat all faculty, staff and fellow students with respect.
- Check your email regularly. It is our primary mode of communication. Make sure you let the Honors Administrative Assistant know if you change your email address or phone number. Changing it in Oracle is not enough.
- Attend one Honors Orientation per academic year while you are in the Honors Program.
- Meet with the Honors Counselor at least once each semester.
- Complete English 1H during your first semester in the program (unless you passed English 1 or equivalent before admission to the program).
- Complete English 3H the semester immediately after you complete English 1H (unless you passed English 3 or equivalent before admission to the program). (Note: A one-semester waiver may be granted if there are reasons outside the student’s control. These reasons must be presented in writing to the Honors Program Coordinator.)
- Complete a minimum of one Honors class each semester. (Note: A one-semester waiver may be granted if there are reasons outside the student’s control. You must request a waiver in writing to the Honors Program Coordinator.)
- Maintain a minimum GPA of 3.0; otherwise, you will be put on probation or dropped from the program.
- (Note: While a 3.0 GPA is the minimum for UC transfer applications, most majors require a higher GPA plus completion of your major’s lower-division prerequisites. The Honors Counselor can provide information specific to your goals.)
- Complete the required program minimum of five Honors classes with a 3.0 GPA or higher within three years of admission to the program. Most universities—including UCLA—require that these courses be completed by no later than the spring semester before you transfer.
- Maintain all standards of student conduct as specified in the Long Beach City College Catalog and avoid any academic dishonesty (including cheating and plagiarism)
- You must contact the Honors Coordinator in advance in writing any time you feel you cannot meet these on-going requirements.
To earn Honors Certification, and “Honors Student” transcript designation, a student must complete each of the following requirements the spring before transfer:
- Complete at least five Honors classes.
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 in transfer-level classes.
- Maintain a GPA of at least 3.0 in all Honors classes taken.
- Obtain Honors Counselor certification that you have completed the lower division requirements stipulated by your transfer institution for general education and your major.
President’s Scholar is an additional honor given at graduation and noted on the transcript of students who exceed the “Honors Certification” standards in the following areas:
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 3.5 in transfer-level classes.
- Maintain a GPA of at least 3.5 in all Honors classes taken.