Federal and State Funding for Education

Saving for education

Grants are a type of financial aid that is awarded to a student and is not required to be paid back. The amount of grant money awarded is based on demonstrated financial need which is determined by the information provided on your FAFSA application.

To establish need and apply for all grant programs, students must complete the FAFSA application. You must be a U.S. Citizen, permanent resident or on a special visa such as parolee. You must have a high school diploma (including passing the CAHSEE if it’s in California), GED, or its recognized equivalent. All students who are awarded financial aid must make satisfactory academic progress to continue to receive grants.

If you have a bachelor’s degree from the U.S. or another country, you are ineligible to receive grants.

Federal Pell Grant

The Federal Pell Grant is the primary form of financial aid and often what people mean when they refer to financial aid. There is a limit of 6 years of receiving the Pell Grant as a full-time student and prorated for part-time students. If you finish your education at LBCC and transfer to another university, this time does not reset and continues until the time expires.

The amount a student receives is based on the Effective Family Contribution (EFC) calculated by the government from your FAFSA, the number of units in which you enroll, and the cost of education at the school. Because this includes indirect costs such as housing and transportation, awards will be generally the same amount at all schools.

Pell Grant Lifetime Eligibility Limit

There is a new federal law effective with the 2012-2013 school year that limits the amount students can receive from the Federal Pell Grant. Because the new Lifetime Eligibility Used (LEU) includes all awards received prior to the 2012-2013 school year, some students will already be ineligible at the start of the year. Others will have some eligibility, but not enough to receive 100% of their award. It includes any Pell Grant award received at any school and it’s associated limit to receive it at any school. You cannot transfer and receive additional awards at another school. There are no exceptions and there is no process to appeal the decision. The school also has no legal ability to award students beyond the stated limit.

The limit is 6 years of full-time attendance. It is prorated for part-time students and calculated based on 600% of annual awards. When you are awarded a Pell Grant, you are given a maximum annual Pell Grant award. If you attend full-time for 2 semesters you receive 100% of the award. If you attend part-time for 2 semesters you receive 50% of the award. Each semester you receive a percentage. When that total reaches 600% you are no longer eligible for the grant. To receive the Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant you must also receive the Pell Grant when you reach the limit you are no longer eligible for either grant.

Updating of individual LEU’s will be complete by mid-July 2012 on the NSLDS web site. NSLDS is where you can find and track your financial aid history. You will need your federal PIN to access your history, which is the same one you use to sign your FAFSA.

Federal Supplemental Opportunity Grant

The Federal Supplemental Opportunity Grant is only available for students who are eligible for the Pell Grant. It is reserved for students with an exceptional financial need. The award is much smaller than the Pell Grant and is usually awarded to those with a 0 EFC. Funds are limited so it is awarded based on earliest application date until all funds have been exhausted. You must be enrolled for at least 6 units to receive the grant.

Cal Grant

While Cal Grants are from the State of California, they are based on the FAFSA application. The results are sent to the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) if a California school is listed at which time the CSAC will determine a student’s eligibility and notify the school.

You must apply before March 2 to be considered for the Cal Grant entitlement program. Community college students can apply up to September 2 to be considered for the competitive grant program.

There are three Cal Grants. Cal Grant A is for university students and is held in reserve for community college students. Cal Grant B is for community college students. Cal Grant C is for students enrolled in a vocational program including those offered by LBCC. Each one can be received up to 4 years.  

Please visit the CSAC website for more information on this program including how they determine eligibility.

Student Success Completion Grant

The purpose of the SSCG grant is to provide the student with additional financial aid to help offset the total cost of community college attendance and to encourage full-time attendance and successful on-time completion. To qualify for the SSCG, a student must:

  • Be eligible for a Cal Grant B or C award
  • Meet federal satisfactory academic progress (SAP)
  • Have an unmet need to receive the SSCG
  • Maintain full-time attendance

A maximum of $2,596 annually at one thousand two hundred ninety-eight dollars ($1,298) per semester, or quarterly equivalent, for eligible students who enroll and attend 12 through 14.99 units per term.

A maximum of $8,000 annually at four thousand dollars ($4,000) per semester, or quarterly equivalent, for eligible students who enroll and attend 15 units per term.

Funds for this program are limited and awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. Early application is strongly advised.

Chafee Grant

If you are or were in foster care for at least one day, between the ages of 16 and 18 as a dependent or ward of the court and have financial need, you may qualify for up to $5,000 a year for career and technical training or college. You don’t have to pay this money back. You may also be able to use your grant to help pay for child care, transportation and rent while you’re in school.

To qualify, you must meet the following criteria:

  • Not have reached your 26th birthday as of July 1st of the award year


  • Be a current or former foster youth who was a dependent or ward of the court, living in out-of-home foster care placement, between the ages of 16 and 18


  • Be a youth who was placed in out-of-home care by a tribe or tribal organization between the ages of 16 and 18

Please visit California CHAFEE GRANT for Foster Youth website for more information.

Golden State Education and Training Grant Program

The Golden State Education and Training Grant Program (GSETGP) supports Californians who lost their jobs due to the COVID-19 pandemic with a one-time grant of $2,500 to reskill, up-skill, and access educational or training programs to get back into the workforce.

Eligible Applicants: 
  • Were displaced from employment due to the COVID-19 pandemic
  • Were not enrolled in a training program or institution of higher education at the time they were displaced from employment
  • Have been unable to obtain employment that provides an average monthly wage that is equal to or greater than the average monthly wage received from their employment prior to the COVID-19 pandemic
  • Meet the income and asset criteria to be eligible for a Cal Grant A award (pursuant to subdivision (k) of California Education Code Section 69432.7)
  • Are enrolled in a qualified education or training program, including at any California community college, California State University or University of California

Applicants can apply online at by logging into their CSAC Account. If they do not have an account, please create one using the “first time user” registration option.

Though the completion of the FAFSA/California Dream Act Application is not needed for this program, we encourage students enrolling in college to complete the FAFSA or Dream Act application to qualify for any additional financial assistance.