In order to remain in the Honors Program, you must meet certain requirements during your enrollment at Long Beach City College.
- An honors student should be intellectually curious about all fields of study and should treat all faculty, staff and fellow students with respect.
- Accept the invitation to join the Honors Canvas Shell, and regularly check for announcements there.
- Check your email regularly. Make sure you let the Honors Administrative Assistant know if you change your email address or phone number. Changing it in the Viking Student System is not enough.
- Attend the Fall Honors Meeting each year while you are in the Honors Program.
- Meet with an academic counselor at least once every Fall and Spring, preferably an Honors Counselor.
- Complete English 1H during your first semester in the program (unless you passed English 1 or equivalent before admission to the program).
- Complete English 3H the semester immediately after you complete English 1H (unless you passed English 3 or equivalent before admission to the program). (Note: A one-semester waiver may be granted if there are reasons outside the student’s control. These reasons must be presented in writing to the Honors Program Coordinator.)
- Complete a minimum of one Honors class each semester. (Note: A one-semester waiver may be granted if there are reasons outside the student’s control. You must request a waiver in writing to the Honors Program Coordinator.)
- Maintain a minimum GPA of 3.25; otherwise, you will be put on probation or dropped from the program. (Note: While a 3.25 GPA is the minimum for UC transfer applications, most majors require a higher GPA plus completion of your major’s lower-division prerequisites. The Honors Counselor can provide information specific to your goals.)
- Complete the required program minimum of five Honors classes with a 3.25 GPA or higher within three years of admission to the program. Most universities – including UCLA – require that these courses be completed by no later than the spring semester before you transfer.
- Maintain all standards of student conduct as specified in the Long Beach City College Catalog and avoid any academic dishonesty (including cheating and plagiarism).
- You must contact the Honors Coordinator in advance in writing any time you feel you cannot meet these on-going requirements.