Supplemental Learning Assistance
Workshops, Directed Learning Activities and Directed Study Groups
Supplemental Learning Assistance (SLAs) are student learning activities tailored to specific courses that reinforce course concepts and the reading, writing, math, and study skills needed to achieve course learning objectives.
SLA is offered in three forms:
- Workshops - 60-minute interactive sessions led by an Instructional Specialist. Appointments recommended as space is limited.
- Directed Study Groups (DSG) – 60-minute interactive sessions led by a tutor. Appointments recommended as space is limited
- Directed Learning Activities (DLA) - 60-minute individually-completed activities that include a brief consultation with an Instructor or Tutor; no appointment necessary.
Please be sure to bring your student ID number to the Success Center.
Workshops & Directed Study Groups
The LBCC Success Centers provide workshops and directed study groups in a small group setting to help students learn class material that is typically more challenging. Students leave workshops and DSGs more confident in their understanding and ability to apply trickier course content.
Our instructors and tutors deliver the material in an engaging and student-centered manner, whenever possible giving students a more hands-on experience.
The following classes offer Workshops or Directed Study Groups:
- ENGLISH: ENGL 105, 801A (ENGL Workshops [PCC])
- MATH 110, 130, 140
- VOCATIONAL NURSING: VN 215, 220, 230
- FOOD & NUTRITION (Spring Semester only)
- REGISTERED NURSING: ADN 12B
- READING: 82, 883AX (READING Workshops [PCC])
- LIFE SCIENCE: ANAT 41, PHYSI 1
Directed Learning Activities
Directed Learning Activities are individual activities that are assigned by your class instructor and completed in the Success Center. Students work independently to complete the assigned DLAs, which are typically 60-90 minutes in length, and at the completion of the DLA, the student meets with a Success Center staff member for a follow-up session.
The following classes offer Directed Learning Activities:
- ART 1, 2, 80
- ALLIED HEALTH: AH 60, AH 220
- CHEMISTRY: CHEM 2
- COUNSELING: COUNS 1
- CULINARY ARTS: CULAR 202, CULAR 241
- ENGLISH: ENGL 1, 105, 801A
- FAMILY & CONSUMER STUDIES: FD 24, F_N 228
- LEARN 11
- MATH 110, 130, 140
- MEDICAL ASSISTING: MA 270
- NURSING: ADN 12B and VN 215, 220, 230
- READING: 82, 883AX
- SOCIOLOGY: SOCIO 1
- TRADES: MTFAB 50, 220B and ELECT 200A, 210A
Complete Your SLA Online
If you are enrolled in an online English or Reading course with an SLA requirement, you may complete it online using Skype by following these instructions.
- Log in to your instructor’s Canvas or Moodle page and download the Directed Learning Activity (DLA) assigned by your instructor.
- Complete the DLA form and save it to your computer.
- Call the LAC Writing & Reading Success Center at (562) 938-4520, and make an appointment to meet with a tutor online.
- Sign into Skype and search for the following email address: email@example.com. Our nickname, “English Tutor,” will pop up. Add this address to your Contact list.
- Email your completed DLA file to firstname.lastname@example.org. Make sure to include your name, course, date, and time of the appointment in the subject line of your email.
- At the time of your appointment, log into Skype and start a video call with the “English Tutor” contact. If you do not get an answer, try again in a few minutes or call the front desk of the Writing & Reading Success Center.
- Once you are finished reviewing your DLA with the tutor, they will email your instructor to confirm your completion of the activity.
- Repeat this process for each SLA before each deadline date.
Reading & Writing SLA Schedules
|Duration||Activity 1||Activity 2||Activity 3|
|16-week||Feb. 10 – Mar. 14||Mar. 16 – Apr. 25||Apr. 27 – May 27|
|1st 8-week||Feb. 10 – Feb. 29||Mar. 2 – Mar. 21||Mar. 2 – Mar. 21|
|2nd 8-week||Apr. 13 – May 2||May 4 – May 27||May 4 – May 27|
|12-week||Mar. 2 – Mar. 28||Mar. 30 – May 2||May 4 – May 27|
Math SLA Schedules
The Math Success Center offers SLA activities for all students. All SLA activities are to be completed at designated Success Centers and should only be attempted after covering related material in class.