Supplemental Learning Assistance
Workshops, Directed Learning Activities and Directed Study Groups
If you need to complete a DLA online, follow these simple instructions. SLA is offered in three forms:
- Workshops - 60-minute interactive sessions led by an Instructional Specialist. Appointments recommended as space is limited.
- Directed Study Groups (DSG) – 60-minute interactive sessions led by a tutor. Appointments recommended as space is limited
- Directed Learning Activities (DLA) - 60-minute individually-completed activities that include a brief consultation with an Instructor or Tutor; no appointment necessary.
Please be sure to bring your student ID number to the Success Center.
Workshops & Directed Study Groups
The LBCC Success Centers provide workshops and directed study groups in a small group setting to help students learn class material that is typically more challenging. Students leave workshops and DSGs more confident in their understanding and ability to apply trickier course content.
Our instructors and tutors deliver the material in an engaging and student-centered manner, whenever possible giving students a more hands-on experience.
The following classes offer Workshops or Directed Study Groups:
- ENGLISH: ENGL 105, 801A (ENGL Workshops [PCC])
- MATH 110, 130, 140
- VOCATIONAL NURSING: VN 215, 220, 230
- FOOD & NUTRITION (Spring Semester only)
- REGISTERED NURSING: ADN 12B
- READING: 82, 883AX (READING Workshops [PCC])
- LIFE SCIENCE: ANAT 41, PHYSI 1
Directed Learning Activities
Directed Learning Activities are individual activities that are assigned by your class instructor and completed in the Success Center. Students work independently to complete the assigned DLAs, which are typically 60-90 minutes in length, and at the completion of the DLA, the student meets with a Success Center staff member for a follow-up session.
The following classes offer Directed Learning Activities:
- ART 1, 2
- ALLIED HEALTH: AH 60, AH 220
- CHEMISTRY: CHEM 2
- COUNSELING: COUNS 1
- CULINARY ARTS: CULAR 202, CULAR 241
- ENGLISH: ENGL 1, 105, 801A
- FAMILY & CONSUMER STUDIES: FD 24, F_N 228
- LEARN 11
- MATH 110, 130, 140
- MEDICAL ASSISTING: MA 270
- NURSING: ADN 12B and VN 215, 220, 230
- READING: 82, 883AX
- SOCIOLOGY: SOCIO 1
- TRADES: MTFAB 50, 220B and ELECT 200A, 210A
Complete Your English or Reading SLA Online
If you wish to complete your SLA online, follow these simple instructions.
- Log in to the WRSC Canvas page at https://lbcc.instructure.com/courses/37881 or click on the link from your instructor’s Canvas page. (You will need your Viking Student ID and password to log in.)
- Download the Directed Learning Activity of your choice from the WRSC Canvas page. (You must download it and save it to your computer to complete the form successfully.) See the SLA Menu of Topics on our Canvas page for all of our current SLA topics.
- Complete the electronic form, and save it to your computer. Visit https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/mark-text-edits.html for help using the commenting tools in Adobe Acrobat. (You can also complete the DLA by hand and scan it into your computer.)
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to make an appointment. Put “DLA” in the subject line of your email. Include the following in the body of your email: name, ID, phone, class, instructor, top 3 dates/times for an appointment, the reason for appointment (DLA), Skype email address and name, and the completed DLA as an attachment.
- Sign into Skype, using your computer, tablet, or phone. (If you do not have a Skype account, go to www.skype.com to create an account or the App Store on your device to download the Skype application for free).
- When your appointment time arrives, THE TUTOR WILL CALL YOU ON SKYPE. If the tutor does not call within 10 minutes of your appointment, email us at email@example.com with the subject line “NO CALL.” (Also, try using the Skype Chat feature to contact the tutor.) Note that if you do not answer within 10 minutes of your appointment, your appointment will be canceled and available to another student.
- Once you are finished reviewing your DLA with a tutor on Skype, the tutor will email your instructor as proof you have completed the activity.
- Repeat this process for each of the three SLA activities before each activity deadline.
English & Reading SLA Schedules
|Duration||Activity 1||Activity 2||Activity 3|
|16-week||Feb. 10 – Mar. 14||Mar. 16 – Apr. 25||Apr. 27 – May 27|
|1st 8-week||Feb. 10 – Feb. 29||Mar. 2 – Mar. 21||Mar. 2 – Mar. 21|
|2nd 8-week||Apr. 13 – May 2||May 4 – May 27||May 4 – May 27|
|12-week||Mar. 2 – Mar. 28||Mar. 30 – May 2||May 4 – May 27|
Math SLA Schedules
To request an online DLA appointment, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Email the following information:
- your first and last name
- your school ID number
- which math class you are in
- the day and time you would like to schedule an appointment.
Someone will get back to you to verify which DLA you would like to do. Please check your emails regularly.
Click Below to Reserve a Seat for an Online SLA Workshop (You must sign up at least one hour in advance to join a workshop)
- Tuesday 5/26/20: MATH 110/140 #17. Rationals – Add/Sub – D. Hatori (11:00AM )
- Tuesday 5/26/20: MATH 110/140 #90. Completing the Square – Solving quadratics – M. Chatterji (7:00PM )
- Wednesday 5/27/20: MATH 110/140 #90. Completing the Square – Solving quadratics – D. Ulloa (1:00PM )
- Tuesday 5/26/20: MATH 130/140 #73. Word Problems – Motion (DRT) – D. Hatori (9:00AM )
- Tuesday 5/26/20: MATH 130/140 #74. Word Problems – Mixture – D. Langevin (1:00PM )
- Tuesday 5/26/20: MATH 130/140 #84. Word Problems – Rational Equations – D. Langevin (3:00PM )
- Tuesday 5/26/20: MATH 130/140 #88. Radical Equations – Solving – M. Chatterji (5:00PM )
- Wednesday 5/27/20: MATH 130/140 #92. Graphing – Quadratics – C. Kim (9:00AM )
- Wednesday 5/27/20: MATH 130/140 #95. Properties of Logs – Simplifying and expanding – C. Kim (11:00AM )
- Wednesday 5/27/20: MATH 130/140 #96. Logs (part 1) – Solving equations – D. Ulloa (3:00PM )
- Wednesday 5/27/20: MATH 130/140 ##95. Properties of Logs – Simplifying and expanding – M. Chatterji (5:00PM )
- Wednesday 5/27/20: MATH 130/140 #96. Logs (part 1) – Solving equations – M. Chatterji (7:00PM )