LBCCD Board Redistricting
The LBCCD Board of Trustees is currently engaged in the redistricting process following the decennial federal census of 2020, in accordance with California Education Code 5019.5. The District must review and, if necessary, adjust Trustee areas to reflect population changes during the previous decade and ensure an equal distribution of the population in each area.
In comparison with prior census years, the U.S. Census Bureau has been releasing population data on a delayed schedule. Preliminary data were released on August 12, 2021, in a legacy format. The data were later released in an easier-to-use format.
If changes need to be made to the Trustee areas after analysis and discussion of the data, the District then must submit a revised Trustee area boundary map, the legal description for Trustee area boundaries, and a signed Board resolution which provides for new boundary changes that will meet the requirements of reapportionment.
The documents must be submitted before March 1, 2022, as stated in California Education Code Section 5019.5, and in accordance with any deadlines established by the Los Angeles County Registrar/Recorder’s Office in order to prepare for the November 8, 2022, general election, at which time candidates for LBCCD Trustee areas 1, 3, and 5 are scheduled to be on the ballot.
LBCCD Redistricting Timeline (as of 2/24/22):
- July 28, 2021: Presentation to the Board of Trustees
- August 25, 2021: Presentation to the Board of Trustees
- September/October 2021: Analysis of the census data
- October 1, 2021: LBCCD Board Ad Hoc Committee meeting
- October 13, 2021: Executive Summary update provided to the Board of Trustees
- October 18-31, 2021: Communities of Interest Survey (English, Spanish, Khmer)
- November 15, 2021: LBCCD launched an online mapping tool to create and submit draft maps
- November 17, 2021: Draft maps were presented to the Board of Trustees in a public meeting for discussion and consideration
- December 9, 2021: Virtual Community Forum 5:30 p.m.-7:00 p.m.
- January 12, 2022: LBCCD Board Ad Hoc Committee meeting to review draft maps
- January 31, 2022: LBCC Board Ad Hoc Committee meeting to review draft maps
- February 15, 2022: Draft maps were presented to the Board of Trustees in a public meeting for discussion and consideration. The Board of Trustees unanimously voted to move forward with draft map D5.
- February 23, 2022: The Board of Trustees unanimously voted to approve draft map D5.
- February 28, 2022: Deadline to submit documents to revise Trustee area boundaries in accordance with draft map D5.
How to Get Involved:
- Communities of Interest Survey was available October 18-31, 2021, in English, Español, and Khmer. (Press Release)
- NEW (11/15/21): Mapping Tool (For instructions on using the mapping tool, please refer to the User Guide.)
- NEW (12/9/21): Virtual Community Forum on December 9, 2021, 5:30 p.m.-7:00 p.m.
- LBCCD Board of Trustees meetings comply with the Ralph M. Brown Act and allow opportunities for public comment.
For information about other local redistricting processes: