Open Call for Muralist
The Public Art Advisory Group seeks the design, creation, and installation of an exterior façade/mural on the newly opened M Building with an emphasis on Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Accessibility.
Pilot Project: Mural for Student Resource Building M
Deadline for Application of Interest: April 14, 2023, by 5:00 p.m.
For more information and submission guidelines, please download the complete application below and email all submissions to email@example.com.
This opportunity is open to artists through an Application of Interest and a separate Request for Proposal (RFP) process. The commissioned exterior façade mural may be created from any materials of the artist, or artist team’s, choosing that can endure complete exposure to the elements. On an east facing wall, the section for the art measures 18 feet in height by 15 feet in length. Once completed, the wall will be finished with a protective coating environmentally friendly graffiti control coating called Permashield Premium Graffiti Control System by Monochem, and to be applied per the manufacturer’s specifications.
Application Submission Guidelines
The Public Art Advisory Group encourages artists to engage critically with the district’s mission and the vision of the public art program on campus, and the Public Art Group DEIA Statement.
Please submit 3 separate PDFs via email: Items 1-6 as one pdf, a second pdf for item 7, and a third PDF for item 8.
Application of interest must include all the following to be considered:
- Full Name of Applicant(s); if an Artist Team, list all members, but also identify one main contact.
- Contact information (Mailing Address, Phone Number(s), Email Address, Website, etc.).
- Current CV/Resume for Artist; if an Artist Team, include a separate CV for Each Member of the Team listing education, previous exhibitions, past public art projects, awards/residencies, publications, teaching, etc.
- Three Professional Artistic References (Name, Title, Institution, Phone, Email). (NOTE: Do not include letters of recommendation. References will be contacted if applicants are shortlisted).
- Artist Statement (500 words maximum) that provides context into the Artist’s (or Artist Teamʼs) prior work experience and artistic practice.
- Letter of Interest (500 words maximum) for Long Beach City College’s Student Resource Center mural.
- Examples of professional work to be submitted by PDF
- Up to Ten (10) work samples (See acceptable formats and restrictions below)
- Title all attachments as follows: ApplicantFullName.WorkTitle.Date.FileType
- Acceptable formats and restrictions include:
- Images: (300 dpi & less than 1MB each) – .jpg, .jpeg, .png, .gif, .tif, .tiff
- Videos: (less than three minutes) – links to webhosted video only, no attachments
- Audio: (less than three minutes) – links to online content only, no attachments
- Documents: .pdf only
- For examples of previous mural work please previous additional textual description/information, images, as well as information regarding client, budget, timeline and location as a separate PDF document.
All items should be submitted to: firstname.lastname@example.org by April 14th, at 5pm
For more information and submission guidelines, please download the complete application.