Cycles & Principles of Assessment
LBCC's Guiding Philosophy of Student Learning Outcomes Assessment
Cycles of Assessment
Assessment is the continuous process of collecting, evaluating, and using data to determine how well learning expectations are being met. The purpose of this process is to use the results, positive or negative, to stimulate meaningful dialogue about how instruction and curriculum may be modified to effectively engage students in the learning process and to improve student learning, in alignment with the College’s Mission and Values.
The outcomes assessment process at LBCC has been designed as a continuous loop of assessment and self-reflection in order to bring about meaningful improvements to student learning. The process enables each department to evaluate its current and future goals and needs, as well as enables each program to identify and implement strategies to serve students enrolled in their courses and programs. Continuous improvement builds on existing efforts to improve student performance. Thus, it is imperative to continue the dialogue and revise outcomes and assessment efforts as necessary to ensure that student needs are being met.
Principles of Assessment
Outcomes assessment is a faculty-driven process. These principles act as the guiding philosophy for all faculty in assessing student learning outcomes across campus to accomplish the College’s mission and the 2022-2026 Strategic Plan goals. The LBCC principles of assessment not only promote synergy, but are also inclusive, supportive, and innovative. Moreover, they build on the contributions of all campus stakeholders to support student learning.
Align outcomes and assessment procedures with curriculum processes.
- Use assessment data to directly inform planning and program review.
- Address college and accreditation standards with meaningful assessment.
- Build relationships with all key stakeholders to achieve continuous improvement of student learning at the course, program, and institution levels.
- Sustain a sense of belonging and affirm the contributions of all stakeholders.
- Meaningfully assess and analyze student learning outcomes data to identify and implement equity-minded actions.
- Support students in their achievement of learning outcomes by meaningfully assessing and analyzing data to identify and implement actions that improve their learning.
- Ensure students are learning by actively reviewing the strength and relevancy of outcomes and the viability of assessment methods.
- Maintain a mutually supportive community of assessment. o Encourage students’ confidence in their own learning on their career and academic pathways.
- Continue to analyze disaggregated course, program, and institutional student learning outcome data to identify and implement actions to improve student learning.
- Foster the development of faculty inquiry groups to analyze and act on Course and Program Student Learning Outcomes results of assessment.
- Cultivate institutional inquiry to analyze and act on Institutional Student Learning Outcomes results of assessment by gathering faculty, staff, and administrator perspectives.
Adopted by the Assessment of Student Learning Outcomes Subcommittee on October 11th, 2022.