OneDrive: Best Practices
Best Practices for Sharing Files and Folders in OneDrive
Periodically Review Permissions
To minimize the risk of accidental or inappropriate exposure of confidential information or protected data, users shall perform periodic reviews of existing shares and remove those accounts (former employees, prior vendors, etc.) that no longer require access.
Sharing Files and Folders
OneDrive is a great resource that provides the institution with increased opportunities; however, we, as users, must constantly question how we store, share, and transmit information in order to protect ourselves against those that would perpetrate fraud. Luckily, there are few simple things we can do in OneDrive to help with that effort.
- Select permissions based upon the need to know.
- Do not use the default option Anyone with this link.
- Do share files and folders using the option Specific People
- Periodically review file and folder permissions and adjust accordingly.
- Do not use District resources to conduct confidential personal business.
If you use OneDrive to share folders and files, please review the following IITS Information Security Procedure for sharing files and folders in OneDrive.