Tutoring Policies & Procedures
What to expect when making a tutoring appointment
Policies & Procedures
- To make an appointment at the LAC Tutoring center, give us a call at 562-938-4474, email us at email@example.com or just stop by the center located at L203 above the library. For the PCC campus (EE206), walk-in sessions are available.
- Appointments are 30 minutes in length.
- Please arrive for your tutoring session on time or call us if you are running late.
- If you need to cancel, please call or send us an email as soon as you can.
- Students are permitted to make up to 4 appointments per week.
- You cannot book more than one appointment for the same course in the day but may sign up for additional walk-in sessions if available.
- If you cannot attend your appointment, please let us know by phone, email or just drop by.
- If you miss 2 appointments without notice, you will no longer be allowed to make an appointment until you speak with the Program Coordinator to reactivate your account (you will still be able to sign up for walk-in sessions).
- Remember, when you miss an appointment, you may be depriving another student of an opportunity to meet with a tutor.
Preparing for your session
- Bring any materials that will help you and your tutors, such as your textbook, syllabus, notes, handouts, and current assignments.
- Make a list of questions you have about the material or need clarification on after reading your textbooks and reviewing your class notes. Highlight areas you want to review with your tutor.
During your session
- Ask for tips on how to study for the class and actively take part in the session. Once you have worked through the material with the tutor, do a practice problem on your own and explain your understanding to the tutor.
- Your tutor can help clarify parts of the lecture or text, assist in solving problems, and work with you to find the answers. Your tutor cannot help with take-home exams.