Essay Contest Rules
Contest rules, essay format, and prize listings
- Entrants must be enrolled in one of the following LBCC English courses: 105, 896AD, 899AD, 801, 1, 1H, 2, 3, 3H, 18, 30, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 41, 42, 43A, 43B, 44, 44H, 45, 45H, 46, 47, 48, 48H, 51A, 51B; or, ESL 34.
- Essays must be written for a general audience. The essay must be written for the class in which the entrant is enrolled. Each entrant may submit only one essay per category, per semester. All entries must be submitted with an entry form signed by the entrants’ instructors.
- While writing the essay, entrants may seek the assistance they would normally receive from their instructors or from the Writing & Reading Success Center.
- Essays must be the original work of the entrants.
- Because winning essays will be published, the subject matter must not infringe upon the rights of any third party.
- For Spring, Summer, and Fall entries, the deadline is the last business day of February.
- The entrants’ names should not appear on the essays. Please include the essay’s title and page number in the upper-right-hand corner of each page. Do not staple; fasten with a paper clip.
- Essays are not to bear instructor’s remarks.
- When needed, entrants must document all sources using MLA style and must include a page where all works are cited.
- Entrants must submit a paper copy of each submission with an entry form and a digital copy of the essay to the following address:
Department of English, P119
Long Beach City College
4901 E. Carson St.
Long Beach, CA 90808
Submit a digital copy of your essay by email as an attachment (.docx, or .rtf files only) to Anthony Starros with the subject line “Jacaranda Submission.”
Prizes & Recognition
Winning essays will be selected for the following qualities: Originality and Insight, Strength of Purpose, Convincing Development, Clarity and Precision of Language, Effective Arrangement of Parts.
- It is expected that essays will be generally correct in grammar, mechanics, and documentation.
- Cash prizes will be awarded in each category. An entrant may not win more than one prize per category.
- Honorable mention awards may be given to additional essays of merit.
- Winning essays will be made available to faculty and students through the English Department.
- Winning entrants will be notified by the English Department.