Essay Contest Rules
Contest rules, essay format, and prize listings
Students who wish to enter the contest must submit the Jacaranda Essay Contest Form and essay to the English Department. A hard copy submission can also be mailed to the English Department.
- The entrants’ names should not appear on the essays. Please include the essay’s title and page number in the upper-right-hand corner of each page. Do not staple; fasten with a paper clip.
- Essays are not to bear instructor’s remarks.
- When needed, entrants must document all sources using MLA style and must include a page where all works are cited.
- Entrants must submit a paper copy of each submission with an entry form and a digital copy of the essay to the following address:
Department of English, P119
Long Beach City College
4901 E. Carson St.
Long Beach, CA 90808
Submit a digital copy of your essay by email as an attachment (.docx, or .rtf files only) to Alison Murray with the subject line “Jacaranda Submission.”
Prizes & Recognition
Winning essays will be selected for the following qualities: Originality and Insight, Strength of Purpose, Convincing Development, Clarity and Precision of Language, Effective Arrangement of Parts.
- It is expected that essays will be generally correct in grammar, mechanics, and documentation.
- Cash prizes will be awarded in each category. An entrant may not win more than one prize per category.
- Honorable mention awards may be given to additional essays of merit.
- Winning essays will be made available to faculty and students through the English Department.
- Winning entrants will be notified by the English Department.