Book & Materials Donations
Policies for donating gifts to LBCC
As an academic institution, it is the Library’s mission to promote and foster the teaching and learning mission of the College. With this in mind, the Library welcomes gifts of materials which strengthen the collection and support the College’s educational programs.
Upon receipt, gifts become the unrestricted property of the LBCC Library. Donations are irrevocable. The Library reserves the right to determine the course of action with donated materials. Items not added to the collection will be offered to other libraries, charities or otherwise disposed of as deemed fit by the Library.
The Library reserves the right to refuse any gift or conditions of donation if the restrictions are incompatible with the Library’s mission and Collection Policy. Please read the full policy below before proceeding.
What gift materials are appropriate?
Gift materials, such as books or DVDs that are recently published and relevant to the subject areas collected by the Library. This includes materials that support College curricula, aid in student research and Long Beach City College or Long Beach City history books and materials.
The LBCC Library cannot use and, therefore, will not accept:
- Materials in poor physical condition, such as missing pages, loose binding, discolored pages, discolored top or bottom edges, brittle, moldy or infested.
- Outdated, preview copy or instructor’s copy textbooks.
- Older mass-market or trade paperback fiction books.
- Duplicate copies of low use items or materials that do not fit with the subjects collected to support the College curricula.
- Titles already owned, unless in high demand or a special edition.
- Superseded legal, medical, computer, technology, or other professional books.
- Outdated exam preparation books.
- Most foreign-language publications in languages not included in the curriculum.
- Media in obsolete or obsolescent formats.
How do I donate books and materials?
Please review the Book and Materials Donation Policy prior to making a donation. Donations of less than 20 items for the General Collection may be dropped off at the LAC or PCC Circulation Desk. If you wish to donate a larger collection, please contact, Shamika Simpson.
Letter of Acknowledgement
If you would like to request a Letter of Acknowledgement, please download and complete a and submit it at the time of your donation. For your convenience, hard copies of the Form are also available at the LAC and PCC Circulation desks. The receipt should indicate your name, the date of the donation and the number of items donated only. If you would like itemized documentation of your gift we kindly request that you provide the list of titles you have donated.
A gift acknowledgment letter will be emailed or mailed to you within†two†weeks†of receipt of the physical donations only†if the donations are/will be added to the Library collection.
There will be no acknowledgment of donations that are brought to the Library without prior arrangement and without pre-screening. Such items will be donated or disposed of in the most cost-effective manner possible when they are not accepted.
Income Tax Information
Gift value is established by the donor. No formal or informal valuation can be provided by the Library.
In accordance with Internal Revenue Service regulations, a donor claiming a tax donation for a charitable contribution worth over $500 must file IRS Form 8283 to qualify for the deduction. Donors of gifts over $5,000 must file FORM 8283 AND have the gift appraised by a certified appraiser. For more information, please visit the IRS website on Substantiating Charitable Contributions.
How do I make monetary donations?
Donate money directly to the LBCC Foundation and designate the Library Learning Resources Associates (LLRA) as the recipient of the gift.
Please note that you may honor an individual or an organization by making a donation to purchase books and/or media in honor of, or in memory of. Such items can bear a bookplate naming the honoree when the donation exceeds $200.
Substantial gifts of money (over $5,000.00) are recognized with suitable formality, such as a letter of recognition signed by the Academic Affairs Vice President, Library Dean and Library Department Head.
When funds are donated or bequeathed to an academic department with a designation to purchase books and/or media that will be added to the Library collection to support that department’s programs the Collection Development Librarian will collaborate closely with the donor and department faculty in accordance with established collection guidelines. However, the Library alone shall have final discretion over the selection of the purchases.
- BY CHECK - Make checks payable to LBCC Foundation and send it to LBCC Foundation, 4901 E. Carson St., Long Beach, CA 90808, Mail code B-12. Designate the LBCC Library as the recipient in the memo line.
- BY CREDIT (Visa, MasterCard, American Express)
- Donations can be made online.
- Designate the Library/Learning Resources Associates (LLRA) as the recipient using the drop-down box.
- Include LBCC†Library†as†the†designee†and any instructions related to your gift in the “comments” box that will appear during check out.