CDC Student Observation Directions & Guidelines
Long Beach City College - Child Development Centers and Lab Schools
1. Make an Appointment
Make an Appointment to Observe in the LAC or PCC Child Development Centers and Lab Schools through TracCloud.
- You must 1st register for CDLL 603 (this is a non-credit, no cost course that tracks observation time) (wait 24 hours).
- You can access the appointment system from your Viking portal by clicking on the TracCloud tile:
- You will use the drop-down menu to choose CDLL 603, then you will choose either CDC-PCC or CDC-LAC and then a date, time and room for an appointment.
- The appointments are listed in 90 min blocks. If you wish to observe for more than one class, you will need to sign up for one 90 min block for each course you want observation credit for.
- Your appointment time, date, and location will be confirmed via email.
- If you need assistance, please contact the Student Technology Help Desk.
- The CDC phone numbers are: (562) 938-4253 (LAC) or (562) 938-3082 (PCC) – they may be able help you with general questions but cannot schedule your appointment for you.
- Make your appointment as soon as possible after receiving your assignment – appointments fill up quickly!
2. Arrive at your Appointment
- When you arrive, please sign in with the office staff at the front desk through the TracCloud sign in station. You must have a valid I.D. card (LBCC student I.D. or CDL) with you.
- Sign in via TracCloud by following the instructions posted at the computer. You will need to return to the sign in station at the end of your observation to sign out. You must also show your student ID to the staff member at the front desk.
If for some reason the TracCloud computer sign in is unavailable or not working, please let someone at the front desk know and they will provide you with a paper sign in sheet. Neatly PRINT your name, student ID. Return to the front desk when you’ve finished your observation to sign out. If you do not sign out, you will NOT receive credit.
You must wear your I.D. while observing in the Center. An ID holder will be provided for observing students by the person who checks you in. Please return it to the front desk when your observation ends.
3. Follow the guidelines in the Lab/Classroom
- While in the Lab/Classroom:
- Do not talk with other students, Child Care Assistants, parents or interact with the children. Place yourself away from other observing students. You may speak with Teachers if you have brief questions.
- Remain inconspicuous; sit down whenever possible; avoid standing.
- No drinks, food, or smoking on the premises. (you may have a sealed clear water bottle with you but it must remain with you at ALL times)
- Clothing should be comfortable and modest (no short-shorts, bare midriffs, low necklines, etc.).
- Photographs may be taken of children whose parents/guardians have granted permission. Please check with someone in Administration or the Teacher if you need to take photographs for your assignment. Please note that you may NOT post photos/videos of Child Development Center Lab School children on social networking sites (such as, but not limited to, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube etc.…)
- Interacting with your cell phone is not allowed. (Talking, Texting or surfing the web etc.)
- Store ALL of your belongings in your car trunk or student locker (provided @ PCC only—you must bring your own lock and key). Only a notepad and pen may be taken into the classroom.
- Remember to print your assignment instructions and bring them with you – accessing them from your phone will not be acceptable.
- Each course’s observation assignments have specific questions/prompts for you to answer – if you don’t know what you are observing for, it will be hard to be successful with your assignment.
- Please follow the instructions given to you by your class instructor as well as those listed above. PLEASE OBTAIN ALL NEEDED SIGNATURES ON PAPERWORK BEFORE YOU LEAVE. Thank you.