Federal Work Study
On-campus job placement
The Federal Work Study (FWS) is a federally-funded aid program that provides on-campus work positions to qualifying Long Beach City College students. Students must meet the financial aid requirements to qualify for a position and can apply by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) application.
- Through the Federal Work Study (FWS) program, students work 16 hours per week on campus starting at the California minimum wage.
- Supervisors are encouraged to consider students workers as students first in scheduling and allowing time off for studying and tests.
- Wages earned through FWS are based on need and not counted when determining your eligibility for financial aid when you reapply. Off-campus job earnings are considered income.
- Available jobs are posted in the Career Center. Students awarded FWS can apply for any job they choose and departments can hire the student that they think best fits their needs. Students can apply for more than one job but can only work in one department.
- A minimum of half-time enrollment (6 units) is required.
- Students must reapply each school year and can work up to 3 years as long as they remain eligible. This includes making satisfactory academic progress. The limit is to give more students a chance to take advantage of the program.