Federal Work Study
On-campus job placement
The Federal Work Study (FWS) is a federally-funded aid program that provides on-campus work positions to qualifying Long Beach City College students. Students must meet the financial aid requirements to qualify for a position and can apply by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) application.
To apply for Federal Work Study, please submit a FAFSA application as early as October 1 of each year. Awards are based on when the FAFSA application was submitted and when all required documents are received. Funds are limited.
- Through the Federal Work Study (FWS) program, students work 16 hours per week on campus starting at the California minimum wage.
- Wages earned through FWS are based on need and not counted when determining your eligibility for financial aid when you reapply. Off-campus job earnings are considered income.
- A minimum of half-time enrollment (6 units) is required.
- Students must reapply each school year and can work as they remain eligible. This includes making satisfactory academic progress.
NOTE: FWS has limited funding. Not all students who apply will be selected to participate in the program. The Federal Work Study Program will not offer on-campus positions for the Fall 2020 term. If you are interested in a remote opportunity, please complete an interest card for consideration
Students who have been awarded FWS can submit an interest card to their department of interest.
Student Employment Handbook
Departments who are hiring FWS students
- Complete a 2020-2021 FAFSA Application
- Submit an Interest Card
- Make contact with a Supervisor for an interview
- Submit all required documents to the Financial Aid Office for processing
Supervisors are encouraged to consider students workers as students first in scheduling and allowing time off for studying and tests.
- Not all returning applicants are awarded FWS.
- Please ensure that your student has been awarded FWS. Please DO NOT allow an FWS student to start until you receive an approval email from Financial Aid.