GE or IGETC Certification Information
What is CSU GE or IGETC Certification
It is the process where Long Beach City College informs your transfer university that you have completed your lower-division general education (GE) courses. LBCC does this by verifying that you have completed either LBCC GE Plan B (also called CSU GE Certification) or LBCC GE Plan C (also called IGETC Certification or UC GE Certification). Note: If you have applied for and received an Associate’s Degree for Transfer (AA-T or AS-T), and this degree is posted on your LBCC transcript, this will serve as a CSU GE Certification. No additional GE Certification is required for the CSU if your Associate’s Degree for Transfer is posted on your transcript.
Universities that do not receive your GE Certification may rescind your offer of admissions, delay your course registration date or add additional lower-division general education coursework to your degree/graduation requirements at the university.
Who should apply for Certification and when?
Students who have applied to AND have been admitted by a university should request GE or IGETC Certification. Certification is ONLY required by the university you have chosen to attend or are already attending.
How do you request CSU GE or IGETC Certification?
- CSU GE Certification (If ALL your General Education courses on LBCC GE Plan B were taken at LBCC) – Request this type of GE Certification by applying for LBCC’s CSUGE Breadth Certificate and then sending your official LBCC transcript, with posted certificate, to your CSU.
- Log into the Viking Student System. Students can access the system directly or by going through the QUICKLINKS menu at the top of any page on the LBCC website and then clicking on “Viking Student Login”.
- Once logged in, click on the “Academic Records” tile/box.
- On the left hand side, click on “Apply for Degree or Cert”.
- Apply for the “(3000) CSU GE Breadth Certificate”.
Note: If you have applied for and received an Associate’s Degree for Transfer (also called an AA-T or AS-T), you do NOT need to apply for CSU GE Certification. This posted degree serves as your CSU GE Certification. Send an official transcript with your posted AA-T or AS-T to your CSU.
Requesting official LBCC transcripts: https://www.lbcc.edu/transcript-requests
- CSU GE Certification (If ANY of your General Education courses on LBCC GE Plan B were taken at OTHER colleges or universities) – Request this type of GE Certification, by emailing Brenda Ramos in LBCC Counseling (email@example.com) a completed “IGETC and CSU Certification Request” form.
- IGETC/LBCC GE Plan C Certification – Request this type of GE Certification, by emailing Brenda Ramos in LBCC Counseling (firstname.lastname@example.org) a completed “IGETC and CSU Certification Request” form.