VA Work Study
Earn money while you learn

A Veteran working on campus with Work Study Opportunity at LBCC

Students utilizing a GI Bill® may be eligible to “earn while you learn” through the VA Work Study Program.

Who is Eligible?

The VA work-study allowance is available to people training on a full-time or 75% time basis under the following programs:

  • Post-9/11 GI Bill®–(38 U.S.C. Chapter 33) (Veterans and transfer-of-entitlement recipients)
  • Montgomery GI Bill®, Active Duty (38 U.S.C. Chapter 30)
  • REAP Participants
  • Montgomery GI Bill®, Selected Reserve (10 U.S.C. Chapter 1606)
  • Post-Vietnam Era Veterans Educational Assistance Program (38 U.S.C. Chapter 32)
  • Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (38 U.S.C. Chapter 35)
  • Eligible dependents under 38 U.S.C. Chapter 35 may use work study only while training in a State.
  • National Call to Service Participants
  • Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment Program (38 U.S.C. Chapter 31)

The VA will select students for the work-study program based on different factors. Such factors at LBCC include:

  • Ability of the student to complete the work-study contract before the end of his or her eligibility for education benefits
  • SAP of student (student must have a 3.0 GPA and at least one successfully completed semester at LBCC)

The number of applicants selected will depend on the availability of VA-related work at your school (LBCC) or at VA facilities in your area. Veterans with service-connected disabilities of at least 30% may be given priority consideration. 

How Much CAN I Earn?

You can earn an hourly wage equal to the Federal minimum wage or your State minimum wage, whichever is greater. If you are in a work-study job at a college or university, your school may pay the difference between the amount the VA pays and the amount the school normally pays other work-study students performing the same job as you.

You may elect to be paid in advance for 40% of the number of hours in your work-study agreement, or for 50 hours, whichever is less. After you’ve completed the hours covered by your first payment, VA will pay you each time you complete 50 hours of service OR bi-weekly, whichever comes first.

You may work during or between periods of enrollment. You can arrange with VA to work any number of hours you want during your enrollment. But, the total number of hours you work can’t be more than 25 times the number of weeks in your enrollment period.

What Type of Work May I Do?

Services you perform under a VA work-study program must be related to VA work. Examples of acceptable work are:

  • The preparation and processing of necessary papers and other documents at educational institutions.
  • Any activity at a VA facility.
  • Any activity at Department of Defense, Coast Guard, or National Guard facilities relating to the administration of Chapters 1606 or 1607 of Title 10 U.S.C.
  • Any activity of a State Veterans agency related to providing assistance to Veterans in obtaining any benefit under Title 38, U.S.C. or the laws of the State.
  • A position working in a Center of Excellence for Veteran Student Success, as established under 20 U.S.C. 1161t, which purpose is to support and coordinate academic, financial, physical, and social needs of Veteran students.
  • A position working in a cooperative program carried out jointly by the VA and an Institution of Higher Learning.
  • Any veterans-related position in an Institution of Higher Learning, such as:
  • Assisting with the dissemination of general information regarding Veteran benefits and/or services.
  • Providing assistance to Veteran students with general inquiries about Veteran benefits via phone, email, or in person.
  • Maintaining and organizing veteran-related files.

The work you actually do will depend on your interests and the type of work available.

How Do I Apply?

Inquire with the Veteran Services Office or your local VA facility to discuss the application procedure. A typical procedure includes a verification of enrollment, resume/application, and completion of VA form 22-8691 (provided by institution).