Working Remotely, Securely
October 8, 2020
Now that the first several weeks of the semester have passed, IITS would like to take this opportunity to review a few basic cybersecurity topics – especially those most relevant to working remotely.
First, there are a few simple things you can do at home to improve your cybersecurity posture.
- Make sure to follow best security practices while working from home.
- Consider installing a Next Generation Antivirus on your personal computer.
In light of the current pandemic, phishing attacks against remote workers have increased considerably. Consequently, it is more important than ever to be mindful when using email.
- Make sure you know how to recognize phishing attempts.
- Recognize common types of scams as well as targeted campaigns like Coronavirus (COVID-19) scams.
- Review best practices on how to protect yourself from ransomware.
Protecting confidential information is paramount. Although IITS has implemented data loss protection policies in both Outlook and OneDrive, please make sure that you are not emailing or sharing files containing confidential information.
- FERPA provides firm guidelines regarding what student data can and cannot be emailed – even to students themselves.
- If you use OneDrive to share files, make sure to review best practices for managing files and folders in OneDrive.
- Learn how to remediate issues with confidential information in Outlook and OneDrive.
Lastly, it is crucial that one protects their account and password.