COVID-19 Update: Important Info on Pass/No Pass, Withdraw/Excused Withdraw, Refunds & Other Resources


Dear Students,

We hope you are staying safe and healthy during this time.  We want to provide you an update on grading and refund options in light of Covid-19. These updates are for classes taken in the Spring 2020 semester only. 

Pass/No Pass

If your class has the option to be graded as Pass or No Pass (P/NP), you can select this option through May 27, 2020. 

  • How can I tell if my class is available as P/NP? In your Viking Portal, click on the “Manage Classes” tile.  On the left-hand side, click on “Update Grading Basis,” classes that are available as P/NP will be listed here.  If your class is not on this list, it is currently not available for P/NP.  More information will be forthcoming regarding possible changes in classes available for P/NP. 
  • What if the class I am changing to P/NP is required to transfer to a CSU, UC or Private Institution?  Please review the requirements for your major and connect with a counselor if you have questions.  Courses that are required to have a letter grade (A-C) for transfer to a UC, CSU or Private Institution must still have a letter grade.   There may be changes to these rules in the future as we get more information from the UC and CSU. 


You may withdraw ‘W’ from your course(s) in your Viking Portal up until May 27, 2020.  Due to the impact of Covid-19, the ‘W’ grade will be changed to an Excused Withdraw ‘EW’ grade at the end of the spring semester.  If you are not using the California Promise Grant or Financial Aid, you will automatically be approved and issued a refund. 

  • How will this impact Financial Aid? Due to changes from the Federal government for this spring 2020 semester only, this will not impact you.  It will not trigger a repayment or negatively impact your Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). 
  • How will this impact my academic records? The ‘EW’ does not count towards academic progress probation and does not count as a repeated class.    

Dropping without a W/EW (no course notation on the transcript)

If you are not using the California Promise Grant or Financial Aid, you may request a refund of your enrollment fees. The form can be found on the Admissions and Records website.  The form does not require additional documentation for the Spring 2020 semester.    


Refunds are not available to students with a CA Promise Grant or Financial Aid.  For students not receiving financial aid, LBCC is determining the process for refunds.  All course/enrollment fees will be refunded at 100%.  All other fees will be refunded at 60% pro-rated rate.  We will have more information regarding next steps and timeline in an upcoming email.

Types of Refunds for Students Not Receiving Financial Aid

  • Course Fees-100% Refund
  • Materials Fees-60% Refund
  • Parking Fees-60% Refund
  • ASB, Health, & Student Rep Fees-60% Refund, if a student drops all courses
Note: Refunds currently apply to California residents and will apply to fees paid only. 

Let Us Help Catch You Before You Drop

It’s true that online classes can be a difficult adjustment, especially when it wasn’t expected. But LBCC wants to remind you that we are here to help. If you are thinking about dropping a class, please consider that doing so can affect your entire educational plan. So, before you drop consider utilizing these options first:

  • Contact your Instructor for their suggestions.
  • Use our online tutoring services. You can email the Writing & Reading Center at and put “tutoring” in the subject line. The Math Success Center is hosting online tutoring and will begin offering private online tutoring with Net-Tutor by the end of this week. Visit for a schedule of Science tutoring activities. Email to make a tutoring appointment for a science class at
  • Talk with a LBCC academic counselor.

LBCC Counselors will be available via remote access throughout Spring Break next week. Take advantage of this time that you won’t be meeting online with your classes to work with an academic counselor online. You may also email for assistance.

For more information, please visit our website at


Dr. Mike Muñoz
Vice President
Student Services