WIP: Computer Science
Computer Science degree offers career-oriented course work that fosters an in-depth understanding of core and advanced topics. At LBCC, our computer science professors will teach you how to use the latest tools and building a solid foundation for the industry. The digital age needs computer science specialists. Students can earn big bucks with computer science degree and they are needed in every type of industry. So, come on, join us at Long Beach City College, for this exciting and lucrative industry.
By earning a computer science associate degree at LBCC, you have:
- Improved hiring prospects.
- Opportunities for creativity and innovation.
- Potential for future growth.
- On the cutting-edge of the technology.
- Make positive difference in people’s lives.
Degrees & Certificates
Our mission is to provide the student in the Computer Science Degree or Certificate Program with the foundation to succeed in the next step in their education path with the recommend Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) foundation knowledge in computer science principles of program design and analysis, mathematical maturity, and a good physics foundation.
Explore the degrees and certificates offered by Computer Science Program.
Associate in science Degree (As), computer science
Plan Code: 2119 – The degree prepares a student for an entry-level job in the computer software and hardware related fields by teaching them to apply the foundational skills and theory of Computer Science to a variety of problem domains, as well as a broad-based general education to prepare the students for a global citizenship. This degree may help students succeed after transferring to a CSU or UC School Computer Science major program. Students wishing a bachelor’s degree (transfer program) should meet with a counselor to discuss transferability of courses.
PROGRAM STUDENT LEARNING OUTCOMES:
- Demonstrate a knowledge of common algorithms, their performance, and what applications to use them for.
- Create computer programs with object-oriented design principles, and demonstrate a solid understanding of the practice of programming.
- Articulate the basic structures of a processor and their relation to each other and performance, and demonstrate an understanding of assembly language.
Certificate of Achievement, computer science
Plan Code: 3119 – The Certificate of Achievement in Computer Science prepares a student for an entry level job in the computer software and hardware related fields by teaching them to apply the foundational skills and theory of Computer Science to a variety of problem domains. This series of courses is designed to place an emphasis on problem-solving with a balance of skill acquisition and fundamental theory. Each CS courses meet the California C-ID content standards for Computer Science.
Certificate of Accomplishment, android app developer
Plan Code: 4119 – PROGRAM STUDENT LEARNING OUTCOMES:
- Demonstrate the ability to create, design, and implement Java based Android applications (apps) using the Android API.
- Show the skills to create, manage, and use databases and SQL for Android applications (apps).
- Be able to complete the full development process for Android Applications (apps).
View courses offered in different semesters to assist in academic plannings.
Introduction to Computer Science – C++
Data Structures and Algorithms
How many units are required to complete the Associate of Science (AS) Degree in Computer Science (CS)?
You must complete 35 units consisting of Computer Science, Math, and Physics courses. You must also complete 19 Units of General Education courses.
What specific Computer Science courses are required for the AS Degree in Computer Science?
|Course Number||Course Name||Notes|
|Introduction to Computer Science-C++
Introduction to Computer Science-Java
|You can take both, but only one is required.|
|CS 22||Data Structures and Algorithms|
|CS 51||Introduction to Computer Architecture|
|CS 61||Discrete Structures|
What specific Math and Physics courses are required for the AS Degree in Computer Science?
|Course Number||Course Name|
First Calculus Course
Second Calculus Course
|PHYS 3A||Physics for Science and Engineering – Mechanics|
|PHYS 3B||Physics for Science and Engineering – Electricity and Magnetism|
What other Computer Science or programming related courses would be available?
|Course Number||Course Name|
|CS 12||Advanced Computer Science – C++|
|COSP 8||Visual Basic Programming|
|COSP 38||Database Concepts|
|COSP 230||Android App Programming with Java|
What certificate programs are offered within the Computer Science program?
- Certificate of Achievement – Computer Science: Earned by completing the 35 units of Computer Science, Math, and Physics required for the Associate of Science Degree in Computer Science.
- Certificate of Accomplishment – Android Application Developer – Earned by completing 7 units as follows:
- One of CS 11 (Introduction to Computer Science-C++) or CS 21 (Introduction to Computer Science-Java)
- COSP 230 – Android App Programming with Java
what are the jobs?
- Software Developer
- Database Administrator
- Computer Hardware Engineer
- Computer Systems Analyst
- Web Developer
Visit The Balance Careers for more information.
How do I receive my degree or certificate after I finish the coursework?
You will need to complete an application for your degree or certificate and submit that application to the LBCC Admissions & Records office. Visit Admissions & Records for more details.