Program: Human Services Generalist


Human Services Generalist

The Human Services Generalist program prepares students for careers in the helping professions, may prepare students for the first two years of their transferable Human Services education and enhance the skills of persons already employed in this field. In addition, students will be provided with several personal/interpersonal skills needed to live healthy lives and deal with the stressful demands of daily living.

HUMAN SERVICES - Program Brochure


Learn about social work and prepare for a career with family services, people experiencing homelessness, foster children, issues of aging, and much more. 

  • Human Services Generalist
  • Social & Human Service Assistants
  • Case Managers
  • Community Health Workers
  • Outreach Specialist
  • Care Coordinator
  • Advocate
  • Case Management Coordinator
  • Peer Specialist
  • Community Liason
  • Social Work Assistant

Degrees & Certificates

Human Services Generalist (AA)

Associate in Arts (AA), Human Services

Plan Code: 1810 – This Associate Degree will prepare students for an entry-level position in the human services/social work field and for career advancement for those already employed in these occupations. Students learn the skills and knowledge necessary to potentially transfer to upper-division programs in social work or human services and to be employed at the paraprofessional entry-level in social work and human services agencies.


  • Develop a psychosocial treatment plan for a client.
  • Analyze information and assess the level of crisis intervention needed to best meet client needs.

Certificate of Achievement, Human Services Generalist

Plan Code: 3810 - This Certificate of Achievement will prepare students for an entry-level position in the human services/social work field.


  • Demonstrate an ability to work with a diverse population in resolving chronic and crisis issues that impact family, health, employability, and social standing.

Course Descriptions


How long does it take to complete the program?

Depending on the number of units you take and whether you are a full-time or part-time student, completing a certificate program can take as little as one semester and completing an associate degree program can take about two years.

Make a 30-minute appointment with an academic counselor to receive services in educational plans, transcript evaluation, and career planning.

How much does the program cost?

Please visit Financial Aid for tuition cost and Federal Work Study information.

Who should I talk to about my Human Services educational plan?

Tom To is the counselor on campus who specializes in Human Services. Please contact him at

Who are the Career & Technical Education (CTE) counselors?

Schools/Program Counselor Location
Career & Technical Education Alicia Andujo LAC
Career & Technical Education Lorraine Blouin LAC
Career & Technical Education Laura Garcia LAC
Career & Technical Education Diana Ogimachi LAC
Career & Technical Education Robert Olmos PCC
Career & Technical Education Tom To PCC

Please visit the Counseling Office for Academic Counseling, Career Exploration, Educational Planning, College Transfer, Student Resources, and many others to help you achieve your educational goals.

What is the next step after an AA in Human Services Generalist?

Get a job and/or move forward by transferring to a university to study Social Work or Human Services.

How to transfer and lookup comparable course listings

To help determine if courses taken at other schools are comparable to Long Beach City College courses, please visit LBCC Transfer Evaluation System (TES).

For more information, please visit LBCC Transfer Center.

How do I receive my degree or certificate after I finish the coursework?

You will need to complete an application for your degree or certificate and submit that application to the LBCC Admissions & Records office. Visit Admissions & Records for more details.