Do you have a passion for sales? Product development? Marketing communications? Supply chain management? Marketing is all around us and will never go away. No matter what the product or service is you have to inform the buyer of why they need your product. Billboards, TV ads, radio are all important means of communicating information about your product but with the increasing use of digital and social media, marketing efficiently is more important now than it has ever been!
Careers in Sales, Logistics, Advertising, Digital Marketing, Product Development and More!
- Start your career in Customer Service, Sales or become a Brand Ambassador.
- Work as a Social Media Marketer or Social Media Analyst.
- Be a recruiter or professional development coordinator in the logistics field.
Degrees & Certificates
Associate in Arts (AA), Business: Marketing
Plan Code: 1153 – The Associate Degree in Business: Marketing consists of the prescribed GE requirements, as well as the required marketing coursework. Students earning this Associate Degree may be prepared to 1) transfer to a baccalaureate degree-granting institution in the field of their concentration and/or 2) enter into the workforce at an entry-level position relating to their field of emphasis.
PROGRAM STUDENT LEARNING OUTCOMES:
- Ensure that 85% of all courses meet or exceed their outcome/assessment goals and develop appropriate action plans for continuous improvement.
- Develop strategies throughout all Marketing courses to enhance the development of our students’ critical-thinking skills: their ability to reason, ask appropriate questions, make strong decision and communicate/collaborate effectively and efficiently.
- Improve the levels of success and retention for students of the Marketing program.
Certificate of Achievement, Business: Marketing
Plan Code: 3153 – The Certificate of Achievement in Marketing will prepare a student for advancement into business school at a baccalaureate-degree granting institution and/or for an entry-level position in a small/medium-sized business, in functions such as sales, advertising or product development.
Certificate of Accomplishment, Business: Foundations of Marketing
Plan Code: 4153 – The Certificate of Accomplishment in Business: Foundations of Marketing may prepare a student to continue toward the attainment of an Associate Degree and/or for an entry-level position in a small/ medium-sized business, in functions such as sales, advertising or product development.
Certificate of Accomplishment, business: Social Media Application Development
Plan Code: 4201 – The Social Media Application Development Certificate of Accomplishment will prepare students to develop a social media application that can be further developed into a business. Students will understand basic business concepts and theories; learn the different uses of digital and social media, and will be able to design and develop an app. This certificate will give students a complete understanding of Social and Digital Media application development, in order to compete for entry-level jobs. Upon completion of this Certificate, a student will have the skills to plan and control business resources, communicate with and lead people in the organization on the functions of different social media platforms, plan and control informational and technological resources and, finally, unite these skills into the development of social media applications for an organization to compete in the New Economy.
View courses offered in different semesters to assist in academic planning.
IN OUR OWN WORDS – Course reflection written by LBCC faculties to provide students insight about our Business classes.
GBUS 25 – DIGITAL AND SOCIAL MEDIA
Digital and Social Media, is a great course to help you earn a job or internship. How do I know? More students have received job/internship offers from this course than from all of the other classes I teach. Not only can you learn every aspect of social media while earning transfer credit, you can also leave the class with an industry recognized social media certification from the Hubspot Academy digital marketing firm, as well as your own personally branded website.
In this class you will learn the following:
- Meme/GIF Making
- Social media marketing and analytics strategies
- Personal, Professional, and Business Branding
- Social Media Management
- Collaboration with Industries & Government
MKTG 40 – SALESMANSHIP
INC. magazine asked a number of business owners the one skill that contributed most to their success, and guess what…..it was sales skills. Why? Because sales skills are not only necessary for those who are planning to enter the workforce as a sales professional, but they are also excellent as communication skills. In taking this course, you will be learning very important business skills, such as how to negotiate, how to close, and how to remain persistent while developing self-confidence and self-discipline. These skills will also help you become successful in every phase of your personal life.
MKTG 41 – MARKETING COMMUNICATIONS
In the past, this course was called Advertising, which was really shorthand for broadcast communications. But when you really think about it, what does advertising try to do? It tries to communicate a message. But communication is more than just broadcasting, it is also about feedback, which is what a successful marketer needs.
We are all aware that new technology has dramatically changed the business landscape, and we could make a good case that no part of a business has felt this impact more than marketing communications. In this course, you will see how the advent of new technologies has changed the landscape in how, when, where and why we communicate to the marketplace, through new message and media strategies.
MKTG 47 – ESSENTIALS OF MARKETING
Essentials of Marketing is a great course to take if you want to become a better consumer. Why? Because in this course you will learn that marketing is much more than simply advertising or selling, which is a misperception held by many people. In this course you will learn that successful businesses view marketing as an outside-in strategy to create value for customers. And if you understand this approach, it will also help you, as a consumer, become more attuned to taking advantage of what the marketplace has to offer. Additionally, we will also look at the impact of technology, culture and globalization on the marketing mix of product, price, place and promotion.
Do the Department of Business Administration & Economics faculty have real-world business experience?
Yes, nearly every member of our faculty has a strong professional background in their concentration.
How long does it take to complete the program?
Depending on the number of units you take and whether you are a full-time or part-time student, completing a certificate program can take as little as one semester and completing an associate degree program can take about two years.
Make a 30-minute appointment with an academic counselor to receive services in educational plans, transcript evaluation, and career planning.
How much does the program cost?
Please visit Financial Aid for tuition cost and Federal Work Study information.
Who are the Career & Technical Education (CTE) counselors?
|Career & Technical Education||Alicia Andujo||LAC|
|Career & Technical Education||Lorraine Blouin||LAC|
|Career & Technical Education||Laura Garcia||LAC|
|Career & Technical Education||Diana Ogimachi||LAC|
|Career & Technical Education||Robert Olmos||PCC|
|Career & Technical Education||Tom To||PCC|
Please visit the Counseling Office for Academic Counseling, Career Exploration, Educational Planning, College Transfer, Student Resources, and many others to help you achieve your educational goals.
What is the difference between a transfer degree (AA-T/AS-T) and a traditional AA/AS degree?
- The traditional AA-Business degree has been designed for those who are in pursuit of an Associate degree with a stronger and more immediate career focus, such as securing a job opportunity or a job promotion. Since most of the courses on this degree are transferable to a baccalaureate granting institution, you will still have the opportunity to complete your bachelors degree when the time is more appropriate. This degree offers 5 distinct career paths – accounting, general business, international business, management and marketing.
- The CSU transfer degree has been developed as a fast-track degree for transfer into the CSU system. The course requirements for the transfer degree have been developed as a collaborative effort by Community College and CSU faculty and this degree will help you to create a clear path from LBCC to a CSU campus, once you have met the stated requirements, which can be found in the Curriculum Guide section. We offer both an AS-T in Business Administration and an AA-T in Economics.
What is the difference between a certificate of achievement and a certificate of accomplishment?
- Completion of a Certificate of Achievement can be an end in itself or can, after completing the necessary GE requirements, lead to the attainment of one of our Associate degrees.
- The Certificates of Accomplishment are lower unit certifications (usually 9-12 units) which are tied to a specific skillset and are generally used as stepping stones on the path to obtain a Certificate of Achievement and eventually to an Associate degree. They can also be instrumental in career advancement.
How do I receive my degree or certificate after I finish the coursework?
You will need to complete an application for your degree or certificate and submit that application to the LBCC Admissions & Records office. Visit Admissions & Records for more details.
How to transfer and lookup comparable course listings.
To help determine if courses taken at other schools are comparable to Long Beach City College courses, please visit LBCC Transfer Evaluation System (TES).
For more transfer information, please visit LBCC Transfer Center.