Office of Innovation
LBCC’s Department of Innovation is committed to expanding the college’s impact by strategically investing in equity-focused initiatives to drive change and access for prospective and current students, faculty, and staff.
We dream, develop, launch, operationalize, and support strategic initiatives that contribute to success for all, in collaboration with internal and external stakeholders. Innovation is central to LBCC’s Strategic Plan 2022-26.
Highlights of Key Initiatives
- Equity Innovation Grants
- Afterschool and Summer Programs
In partnership with the Long Beach Boys and Girls Clubs and LBUSD
- Ed.D. Program for employees in partnership with Arizona State University
- ASU Local program to allow LBCC students to earn a Bachelor’s degree from ASU in Long Beach
- Public Art Program to enhance a sense of belonging and affirmation of intersectional identities on both campuses
- Safe Parking Program and other support for students experiencing housing insecurity
- “Strong Beach” transportation program making a free GoPass available to every enrolled student
- LBCC’s Framework for Reconciliation in Support of the Black Community
- Supporting opportunities for international leadership and relationship-building for students, faculty, and staff
The Department of Innovation also provides oversight for the $30 Million Gift from philanthropist MacKenzie Scott received in June 2021.
Awards and Recognitions
The Office of Innovation was recently recognized by the League for Innovation in the Community College with a 2022-23 Innovation of the Year Award for the Afterschool Program!