CalWORKs is California’s Welfare-to-Work program that gives cash aid and services to eligible needy California families. The program serves all 58 counties in the state and is operated locally by county welfare departments. If a family has little or no cash and needs housing, food, utilities, clothing or medical care, they may be eligible to receive immediate short-term help. Families that apply and qualify for ongoing assistance receive money each month to help pay for housing, food, and other necessary expenses.
The CalWORKs program at Long Beach City College augments services provided by a participant’s county welfare office. Our services include:
- Detailed CalWORKs Case Management
- School Supplies
- Dedicated Academic/Personal Counseling
- Career Development
- Priority Registration
- Advocacy and Resource Referral
- Other allowable expenses necessary to student success
Our program is funded by the California Community Colleges Chancellor’s Office and through matching funds from the Long Beach Community College District.
How Do I Apply for CalWORKs?
In order to be eligible for our program, you must be:
- Eligible for the CalWORKs program and receive cash aid for yourself and at least 1 child in your household from a county public assistance office.
- Enrolled at Long Beach City College.
- Complete a new LBCC student orientation and a college assessment test.
- Attend a new CalWORKs student program orientation.
After completing these steps, our office can schedule your appointment and assist you with our services.